Leak detection

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Leak detection

Post by ed » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:46 am

Witness wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:44 am

P. – S. How are the crawdads? :twisted:
Still a sore point. I need to investigate more thoroughly.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

solely

Post by solely » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:34 pm

Waiting for results, couldn't sleep last night in anticipation.

ed

Post by ed » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:46 pm

Going out for a bit.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:24 pm

ed wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:36 am
I have sold probably a thousand 37mm rounds of tear gas.
1000 rounds? Pfft!

One afternoon of plinking. :P
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:16 pm

The point is that you are talking about leak testing a cylinder by putting it underwater. When you leak test something, it's the pressure difference, inside to outside that matters.

Let's conduct the following thought experiment - you start with the cylinder full of air at normal atmospheric pressure, but you've drilled a hole in the cylinder wall and attached a hose to it - we'll assume that the hose and the hose attachment are perfectly watertight, so any leaks discovered won't be due to the hose attachment but would have been present all along.

Now you submerge the cylinder seven feet down in your pool, but the hose reaches up to the surface like a snorkel so the open end is still open to the air.

The pressure just due to the water is about 3psi. Let's imagine that there is a tiny pinprick leak in the cylinder that allows one cubic inch of water to leak in every hour under those conditions.

Now you attach the end of the hose to your vacuum pump and pull a pretty good vacuum into the cylinder. We have to assume that both the hose and the cylinder are strong enough to withstand this without being sucked flat.

Now normal atmospheric pressure is about 14.7 psi, and let's say your vacuum pump pulls the pressure down to just 0.7 psi. Now the pressure acting on the cylinder is 14+3 = 17 psi. Assuming that the pinprick leak isn't sealed up by the compression of the cylinder walls and remains the same size as it was before, we'd now expect the water to leak in faster than before - with a roughly linear relationship between pressure and flow you'd now expect

1 x (17/3) cubic inches of water to enter every hour - so nearly six times as fast as before.

If you didn't want to use a vacuum pump and had a deep enough pool, you could get the same pressure difference (14 psi extra) by taking the cylinder down an extra 32.2 feet.

All you need to know is that the column of air, one square inch in cross section and extending up from the ground right up to space weighs the same as a column of water one square inch in cross section and 33.8 feet high: the sixty-mile high column of air and the 33.8 feet high column of water both weigh 14.7 pounds. Of course the air gets thinner and lighter the higher you go and the column is very slightly tapered due to the curvature of the Earth - but that makes no difference - it still weighs the same as the 33.8-foot high column of water.

(Actually the taper is negligible when you consider that space is generally agreed to begin about sixty miles up, and the Earth's radius is about four thousand miles. Likewise the reduction in gravity over a height of sixty miles is also negligible.)

To put it another way, and answer your 'explode' question, it's true that if you could submerge the cylinder seven feet down while it's full of air and then magically remove all the Earth's atmosphere (we'll assume for now that the pool wouldn't boil away as a result) then the pressure inside the cylinder would indeed be higher than the water outside by 14.7 - 3 = 11.7 psi so any leaks would then be revealed by air bubbling out of the cylinder through the cracks/holes rather than water leaking in.

ed

Post by ed » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:46 pm

OK. 24+ hours under enormous pressure in my tac deductible, open air pressure cavatron.

No water inside.

Rigorous testing complete. Marketing to commence momentarily.

My associate Prof. Rajnesh J. Suorapani of the Punjabi Institute of Atmospheric Studies evalueted my experimental approcah, implimentation and results and reported this:
ਗੱਲ ਇਹ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਇੱਕ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ ਨੂੰ ਪਾਣੀ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਪਾ ਕੇ ਲੀਕ ਕਰਨ ਦੀ ਗੱਲ ਕਰ ਰਹੇ ਹੋ. ਜਦੋਂ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਕਿਸੇ ਚੀਜ਼ ਨੂੰ ਲੀਕ ਕਰਦੇ ਹੋ, ਤਾਂ ਇਹ ਦਬਾਅ ਦਾ ਅੰਤਰ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ, ਅੰਦਰੋਂ ਬਾਹਰ ਜੋ ਇਸ ਲਈ ਮਹੱਤਵਪੂਰਣ ਹੈ.

ਆਓ ਹੇਠ ਦਿੱਤੇ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਪ੍ਰਯੋਗ ਦਾ ਆਯੋਜਨ ਕਰੀਏ - ਤੁਸੀਂ ਸਧਾਰਣ ਵਾਯੂਮੰਡਲ ਦੇ ਦਬਾਅ ਤੇ ਹਵਾ ਨਾਲ ਭਰੇ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ ਨਾਲ ਸ਼ੁਰੂਆਤ ਕਰਦੇ ਹੋ, ਪਰ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ ਦੀ ਕੰਧ ਵਿੱਚ ਇੱਕ ਮੋਰੀ ਡ੍ਰਿਲ ਕੀਤੀ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਇਸ ਨਾਲ ਇੱਕ ਹੋਜ਼ ਲਗਾ ਦਿੱਤੀ ਹੈ - ਅਸੀਂ ਮੰਨ ਲਵਾਂਗੇ ਕਿ ਹੋਜ਼ ਅਤੇ ਹੋਜ਼ ਦੀ ਲਗਾਵ ਹੈ. ਬਿਲਕੁਲ ਵਾਟਰਟਾਈਟ, ਇਸ ਲਈ ਲੱਭਿਆ ਕੋਈ ਵੀ ਲੀਕ ਹੋਜ਼ ਦੀ ਕੁਰਕੀ ਕਾਰਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋਏਗਾ, ਪਰ ਸਾਰੇ ਮੌਜੂਦ ਹੋਣਗੇ.

ਹੁਣ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ ਨੂੰ ਆਪਣੇ ਪੂਲ ਵਿਚ ਸੱਤ ਫੁੱਟ ਹੇਠਾਂ ਡੁਬੋਉਂਦੇ ਹੋ, ਪਰ ਹੋਜ਼ ਇਕ ਸਨੋਰਕਲ ਦੀ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਸਤਹ ਤਕ ਪਹੁੰਚ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ ਤਾਂ ਕਿ ਖੁੱਲ੍ਹਾ ਸਿਰਾ ਹਾਲੇ ਵੀ ਹਵਾ ਲਈ ਖੁੱਲ੍ਹਾ ਹੈ.

ਪਾਣੀ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ ਦਬਾਅ ਲਗਭਗ 3psi ਹੈ. ਆਓ ਕਲਪਨਾ ਕਰੀਏ ਕਿ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ ਵਿਚ ਇਕ ਛੋਟਾ ਜਿਹਾ ਪਿੰਨਪ੍ਰਿਕ ਲੀਕ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਹਾਲਤਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਇਕ ਘੰਟਾ ਇੰਚ ਪਾਣੀ ਹਰ ਘੰਟੇ ਵਿਚ ਲੀਕ ਹੋਣ ਦਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ.

ਹੁਣ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਹੋਜ਼ ਦੇ ਅੰਤ ਨੂੰ ਆਪਣੇ ਵੈਕਿumਮ ਪੰਪ ਨਾਲ ਜੋੜਦੇ ਹੋ ਅਤੇ ਇਕ ਵਧੀਆ ਖਲਾਅ ਨੂੰ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ ਵਿਚ ਖਿੱਚੋ. ਸਾਨੂੰ ਇਹ ਮੰਨਣਾ ਪਏਗਾ ਕਿ ਹੋਜ਼ ਅਤੇ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ ਦੋਵੇਂ ਸਖਤ ਚੂਸਨ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾਂ ਇਸ ਦਾ ਮੁਕਾਬਲਾ ਕਰਨ ਲਈ ਕਾਫ਼ੀ ਮਜ਼ਬੂਤ ​​ਹਨ.

ਹੁਣ ਆਮ ਵਾਯੂਮੰਡਲ ਦਾ ਦਬਾਅ ਲਗਭਗ 14.7 ਪੀਐਸਈ ਹੈ, ਅਤੇ ਮੰਨ ਲਓ ਕਿ ਤੁਹਾਡਾ ਵੈਕਿumਮ ਪੰਪ ਦਬਾਅ ਨੂੰ ਸਿਰਫ 0.7 ਪੀਐਸ ਤੱਕ ਖਿੱਚਦਾ ਹੈ. ਹੁਣ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ 'ਤੇ ਕੰਮ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਦਬਾਅ 14 + 3 = 17 ਪੀ ਐਸ ਹੈ. ਇਹ ਮੰਨਦੇ ਹੋਏ ਕਿ ਪਿੰਨਪ੍ਰਿਕ ਲੀਕ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ ਦੀਆਂ ਕੰਧਾਂ ਦੇ ਕੰਪਰੈੱਸਸ਼ਨ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਮੋਹਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਲਗਾਈ ਗਈ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਜਿੰਨੀ ਆਕਾਰ ਵਿਚ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ, ਹੁਣ ਅਸੀਂ ਉਮੀਦ ਕਰਾਂਗੇ ਕਿ ਪਾਣੀ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਕਿਤੇ ਤੇਜ਼ੀ ਵਿਚ ਲੀਕ ਹੋ ਜਾਵੇਗਾ - ਦਬਾਅ ਅਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਵਾਹ ਦੇ ਵਿਚਕਾਰ ਲਗਭਗ ਇਕ ਲੰਬੇ ਰਿਸ਼ਤੇ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ. ਤੁਸੀਂ ਹੁਣ ਉਮੀਦ ਕਰਦੇ

ਹਰ ਘੰਟੇ ਵਿਚ ਦਾਖਲ ਹੋਣ ਲਈ 1 x (17/3) ਕਿicਬਿਕ ਇੰਚ ਪਾਣੀ - ਇਸ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਛੇ ਗੁਣਾ ਤੇਜ਼.

ਜੇ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਵੈੱਕਯੁਮ ਪੰਪ ਦੀ ਵਰਤੋਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਨਾ ਚਾਹੁੰਦੇ ਹੋ ਅਤੇ ਇਕ ਡੂੰਘਾ ਪੂਲ ਹੈ, ਤਾਂ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ ਨੂੰ 32.2 ਫੁੱਟ ਥੱਲੇ ਲੈ ਕੇ ਉਹੀ ਦਬਾਅ ਅੰਤਰ (14 ਪੀਐਸਈ ਵਾਧੂ) ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਕਰ ਸਕਦੇ ਹੋ.

ਤੁਹਾਨੂੰ ਬੱਸ ਇਹ ਜਾਣਨ ਦੀ ਜ਼ਰੂਰਤ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਹਵਾ ਦਾ ਕਾਲਮ, ਕਰਾਸ ਸੈਕਸ਼ਨ ਵਿਚ ਇਕ ਵਰਗ ਇੰਚ ਅਤੇ ਜ਼ਮੀਨ ਤੋਂ ਸੱਜੇ ਪਾਸੇ ਤੱਕ ਦਾ ਹਿੱਸਾ ਇਕ ਕ੍ਰਾਸ ਸੈਕਸ਼ਨ ਵਿਚ ਇਕ ਵਰਗ ਇੰਚ ਅਤੇ 33.8 ਫੁੱਟ ਉੱਚਾ ਪਾਣੀ ਦੇ ਕਾਲਮ ਦੇ ਬਰਾਬਰ ਹੈ: ਸੱਠ- ਹਵਾ ਦਾ ਮੀਲ ਉੱਚਾ ਕਾਲਮ ਅਤੇ ਪਾਣੀ ਦਾ 33.8 ਫੁੱਟ ਉੱਚਾ ਕਾਲਮ ਦੋਵਾਂ ਦਾ ਭਾਰ 14.7 ਪੌਂਡ ਹੈ. ਬੇਸ਼ਕ ਹਵਾ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਜਿੰਨੀ ਉੱਚੀ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹੋ ਪਤਲੀ ਅਤੇ ਹਲਕੀ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਧਰਤੀ ਦੀ ਵਕਰ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ ਕਾਲਮ ਬਹੁਤ ਥੋੜ੍ਹਾ ਜਿਹਾ ਟੇਪਰ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ - ਪਰ ਇਸ ਨਾਲ ਕੋਈ ਫਰਕ ਨਹੀਂ ਪੈਂਦਾ - ਇਸਦਾ ਭਾਰ ਅਜੇ ਵੀ ਪਾਣੀ ਦੇ .8 33.. ਫੁੱਟ ਉੱਚੇ ਕਾਲਮ ਦੇ ਸਮਾਨ ਹੈ.

(ਦਰਅਸਲ ਟੇਪਰ ਨਜ਼ਰਅੰਦਾਜ਼ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਜਦੋਂ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਮੰਨਦੇ ਹੋ ਕਿ ਸਪੇਸ ਆਮ ਤੌਰ 'ਤੇ ਲਗਭਗ ਸੱਠ ਮੀਲ ਦੀ ਦੂਰੀ' ਤੇ ਸ਼ੁਰੂ ਹੋਣ ਲਈ ਸਹਿਮਤ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਅਤੇ ਧਰਤੀ ਦਾ ਘੇਰਾ ਤਕਰੀਬਨ ਚਾਰ ਹਜ਼ਾਰ ਮੀਲ ਹੈ. ਇਸੇ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਸੱਠ ਮੀਲ ਦੀ ਉਚਾਈ 'ਤੇ ਗੰਭੀਰਤਾ' ਚ ਕਮੀ ਵੀ ਘੱਟ ਹੈ.)

ਇਸ ਨੂੰ ਇਕ ਹੋਰ putੰਗ ਨਾਲ ਦੱਸਣ ਲਈ, ਅਤੇ ਆਪਣੇ 'ਫਟਣ' ਵਾਲੇ ਪ੍ਰਸ਼ਨ ਦਾ ਉੱਤਰ ਦੇਣ ਲਈ, ਇਹ ਸੱਚ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਜੇ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ ਨੂੰ ਹਵਾ ਨਾਲ ਭਰੇ ਹੋਏ ਸੱਤ ਫੁੱਟ ਹੇਠਾਂ ਡੁੱਬ ਸਕਦੇ ਹੋ ਅਤੇ ਫਿਰ ਧਰਤੀ ਦੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਵਾਤਾਵਰਣ ਨੂੰ ਜਾਦੂਈ removeੰਗ ਨਾਲ ਹਟਾ ਸਕਦੇ ਹੋ (ਅਸੀਂ ਹੁਣ ਮੰਨ ਲਵਾਂਗੇ ਕਿ ਪੂਲ ਚਾਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ) ਨਤੀਜੇ ਵਜੋਂ ਉਬਾਲ ਕੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਜਾਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ) ਤਾਂ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਦਾ ਦਬਾਅ ਸੱਚਮੁੱਚ ਬਾਹਰਲੇ ਪਾਣੀ ਨਾਲੋਂ 14.7 - 3 = 11.7 ਪੀ ਐਸ ਕੇ ਵੱਧ ਜਾਵੇਗਾ, ਇਸ ਲਈ ਕੋਈ ਵੀ ਲੀਕ ਤਦ ਚੀਰ / ਮੋਰੀ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਸਿਲੰਡਰ 'ਚੋਂ ਬਾਹਰ ਨਿਕਲਣ ਦੀ ਬਜਾਏ ਬਾਹਰ ਆਉਣ ਨਾਲ ਪਤਾ ਚੱਲੇਗਾ. ਪਾਣੀ ਦੀ ਲੀਕ
I reconize that not all of you are fluent in Punjabi so let me provide a precis of his remarks:
Wow, Ed, just wow. Once again you have demonstrated your unerring ability to do things. You have proven it to my satisfaction. Congratulations.
There is other stuff in there about pressure and other stuff that really does not move the peanut ahead.
thank you all for your interest and kind attention.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:35 am

Fuck. :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:39 am

Have you tried Julian Assange?
Such potential!

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:32 pm

ed wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:36 am
The two most heard phrases heard at gun shows:

You never know
and
Just in case

I suspect that it is all in gun safes across this great land of ours.
I guess preppers, then? :?

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:34 pm

ed wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:46 am
Witness wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:44 am
P. – S. How are the crawdads? :twisted:
Still a sore point. I need to investigate more thoroughly.
Been out at night yet? :mrgreen:

ed

Post by ed » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:27 am

There was a funny thing in WKRP in Cincinnatti. They did a promotion for Thanksgiving where they dropped Turkeys out of a helicopter. One of the characters came into the newsroom with the plaintive cry "I didn't know turkey's couldn't fly". Always got me.

I didn't apprehend how well camouflaged crawdads are. I suspect there re hundreds of them there though.

solely

Post by solely » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:00 am

That's the thing about crawdads it takes hundreds of them to make a single meal.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:34 am

Why do you hate crayfish, ed? Look delicious cooked with beer and pepper. :)

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:24 pm

ed: Hundreds? Off by how many orders of magnitude?

AC: That wouldn't happen to be French would it? I'm OK with it of course, but French stuff has a tendency to trigger ed.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Not french, Loooooseanna.
Creole is what happens when you take a french population and beat the metric outta them but keep their cooking intact.

I may go look for the critters later. I could drag a kid across the bottom and see if that attracts them. Dunno.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:14 pm

At least the Chinese take them out of their shells before serving them to you.

Drag a kid across the bottom? Obviously still a Yankee. That's for catching alligators not crawdads.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:16 pm

Yeah but you can reuse them for crawdads

solely

Post by solely » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Wait, don't you serve your alligators scientologist. They're more abundant than crawdads.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:47 pm

I wonder how long it would take for body to be consumed in Lake Ed, Jewel of West/central Florida.
Depends if there is a gator in it.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:46 pm

Being an arthropod has its drawbacks. :|