The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: The UK thread

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:17 am

From the decision:
3. Parliament does not decide when it should be prorogued. This is a prerogative power exercised by the Crown on the advice of the Privy Council. In practice, as noted in the House of Commons Library Briefing Paper (No 8589, 11thJune 2019), “this process has been a formality in the UK for more than a century: the Government of the day advises the Crown to prorogue and that request is acquiesced to”.
It's funny the way you lot have your system set up like some kind of Rube Goldberg device.

"In practice" but why does the Queen have to acquiesce to the request?

So much of it seems to rely on tradition and norms, rather than clear-cut laws.

What's to stop future monarchs from taking back their "prerogatives of the Crown"?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:26 am

I doubt that the monarchy would survive should a future monarch, (or the existing one), attempt to do so. It's an unwritten rule that the monarch remains politically neutral and goes along with the government of the day.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:05 am

:mrgreen:

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:23 am

He's a brilliant orator.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:09 am

Thousands left without internet after thieves swipe copper cables

Openreach "disappointed" by Cambridgeshire thefts as homes and businesses hit by two outages in two weeks

Internet access to more than 6,000 residents in South Cambridgeshire has been severely disrupted over the last couple of weeks due to vandalism and theft of copper cabling.

More than 2,200 people living in Cambourne were knocked offline after thieves made away with 500 metres of copper cabling last week, with phone lines also dead, according to Cambridgeshire Live.

The theft follows another incident just a matter of weeks ago. Approximately 4,000 homes and businesses were left without internet on 25 August because copper cables had been cut away on the outskirts of Cambourne.

Phone lines were also knocked offline in homes and shops in the village. A few days later, power cables, worth approximately £10,000, were found dumped more than ten miles away in a nearby village.

Crime Stoppers, in partnership with the firm that manages the infrastructure, Openreach, launched an appeal in the wake of the first incident offering £1,000 for information. Heavy damage was also caused to farmland where cables were dragged across fields, the organisation revealed.
https://www.itpro.co.uk/network-interne ... per-cables

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:15 am

Witness wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:09 am
Thousands left without internet after thieves swipe copper cables

A few days later, power cables, worth approximately £10,000, were found dumped more than ten miles away in a nearby village.
What a dumb way to make a living as a thief. £10,000 worth of cable probably represents no more £500 worth of copper, which can't be sold without first stripping the insulation (tedious!) and smelting the result (expensive). Those, coupled with the labor to actually steal and haul the booty might-maybe yield them the half of minimum wage.

Better to kidnap puppies for the ransom.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:55 pm

I'm putting this here instead of Brexit, because of what I want to say about it.
I only ask that you listen to the first minute and a half (which is a clip of a speech in Parliament) and never mind Sargon's commentary.

In a general way, I prefer the US system but gotta hand it to the UK when it comes to the ambiance of Parliament.

It's the rowdy cheers and catcalls. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:07 am

It's fun that they have to keep calling each other honourable whilst simultaneously attempting to denigrate and insult.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:13 am

Incidentally, I'm surprised the left haven't attempted to outlaw the word denigrate yet, since it comes from the Latin meaning 'to blacken' and contains the dreaded nig syllable.

solely

Post by solely » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:22 am

I thought the role of Speaker was to maintain order.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:42 am

Yes. Certain words (liar for example) are ruled unparliamentary, and if a member accuses another of lying in the chamber, then the speaker forces that member to withdraw the accusation and ejects them from the chamber if they refuse: this happens occasionally. The game is to try to creatively use language to circumvent the rules but still accuse one's opponent of lying. Winston Churchill famously said that he 'feared his opponent may have committed a terminalogical inexactitude.'

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:21 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:15 am
half of minimum wage
Very dumb indeed.

But it's also the fate of most writers (apart from the famous ones, of course) or, as one of them put it, "a cleaning lady's salary". A second job avoids starving.
Perhaps this has changed with electronic (self) publishing, but I doubt it.

In fact, thinking of it, part of the work has been shifted from publisher to author. Reporters once just sent their film rolls, now they have to prepare their pictures on a laptop. A guy I know wrote a book on algebra and, with his co-author, did all the typographical work in TEX (argh!) so the publisher just had to print and bind the PDFs.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:25 am

ceptimus wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:42 am
The game is to try to creatively use language to circumvent the rules
Pre WWII French politicians played another game: having their speeches written by opponents.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Transgender Athletes Wreak Havoc In Women’s Rugby
Daily Caller

Here's the most relevant bit:

Women’s rugby referees in England are quitting their jobs over the inclusion of the male athletes, according to a report in The Sunday Times this weekend.

“Being forced to prioritize hurt feelings over broken bones exposes me to personal litigation from female players who have been damaged by players who are biologically male. This is driving female players and referees out of the game,” one referee told the British paper under the condition of anonymity.

Condition of anonymity indeed. Offensive speech that carries a prison sentence, if I understand the current situation correctly.

But what if no one is willing to serve as referee?

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:48 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:09 pm
Transgender Athletes Wreak Havoc In Women’s Rugby
Daily Caller

Here's the most relevant bit:

Women’s rugby referees in England are quitting their jobs over the inclusion of the male athletes, according to a report in The Sunday Times this weekend.

“Being forced to prioritize hurt feelings over broken bones exposes me to personal litigation from female players who have been damaged by players who are biologically male. This is driving female players and referees out of the game,” one referee told the British paper under the condition of anonymity.

Condition of anonymity indeed. Offensive speech that carries a prison sentence, if I understand the current situation correctly.

But what if no one is willing to serve as referee?
A prison sentence for bad people, Abdul. If you are not bad, what do you have to fear?

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:06 am

Banksy MPs as chimpanzees painting up for auction

A painting by Banksy showing the House of Commons packed with chimpanzees is to be auctioned.

Devolved Parliament was painted by the anonymous Bristol artist in 2009 and could fetch more than £1.5m, according to auctioneer Sotheby's.

"Regardless of where you sit in the Brexit debate, there's no doubt that this work is more pertinent now than it has ever been," Sotheby's said.

It goes on show on 28 September before its sale in London on 3 October.

Alex Branczik, from Sotheby's, said Banksy "confronted the burning issues of the day".

He said the artist "distils society's most complicated political situations into just one, deceptively simple image that is readily shareable in our social media age".

Banksy created Devolved Parliament for the takeover of Bristol Museum in 2009, which attracted more than 300,000 visitors and was said to be one of the most visited exhibitions in the world that year.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-49713987

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:49 pm

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:04 pm

What is the alleged lie?

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:03 am

Boris Johnson 'disappointed' as Trump aims tariffs at UK products

Downing St has added its voice to criticism of a new front in President Donald Trump's trade war which is set to hit UK firms.

A spokesman said the prime minister was "disappointed" the US was aiming 25% tariffs at UK products, including Scotch whisky and pullovers, as part of its spat with the EU over historic state support for Airbus.

The World Trade Organisation is expected to declare early next year whether Brussels can respond with measures of its own after Boeing was also found to have received illegal support from the American taxpayer.

The tariffs, which will cover £6.1bn of EU imports if imposed, mark the latest step towards a full-blown trade war with the EU as European manufacturers are already facing US tariffs on steel and aluminium.

Mr Trump has also threatened to penalise EU cars and car parts.

Mr Johnson's spokesman said: "We are disappointed that the US have published this list.

"Resorting to tariffs is not in anyone's interest.

"The UK is working closely with the US and EU to support a negotiated settlement to the Airbus-Boeing dispute and to avoid these tariffs from coming in to force."

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said she was "profoundly worried" that Scotch whisky and other products, such as wool, were to be targeted.
https://news.sky.com/story/amp/boris-jo ... s-11826292

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:06 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:04 pm
What is the alleged lie?
If only you had the Internet.