Good morning!

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
gnome

Good morning!

Post by gnome » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Nothing like being woken up an hour and a half early to be told on the phone by one's stepdaughter that a petty thug from the next town over may be turning up at my house looking for money she owes him.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

solely

Re: Good morning!

Post by solely » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:39 pm

And the petty thug knows your location because.. how?

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Well, she was kind enough to let him crash in our house a couple of weeks ago while we were away. You know, when she knew, despite just having met him, that he was a model citizen that had just been kicked out of his home. Unjustly, I'm sure.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:49 pm

Ed lives just down the street. Stop by and pick up a few supplies.

solely

Post by solely » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:54 pm

Are we dealing with a young person here or has she reached an age she should know better?

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:06 pm

Jesus, had something similar happen with a boyfriend of one of my many daughters.

Fucker took an ar, told my daughter that he was going to kill us.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x

ed

Post by ed » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Call the cops, get a restraining order

ed

Post by ed » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:07 pm

:D You have a gun?

That was cruel

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:11 pm

It's time to pop into the phone box and become...

Karate Gnome!!?!??!!!

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:12 pm

gnome wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:29 pm
Nothing like being woken up an hour and a half early to be told on the phone by one's stepdaughter that a petty thug from the next town over may be turning up at my house looking for money she owes him.
Don't open the door, clearly tell him to get off your property. Call the cops. Are you sorta rural?

ed

Post by ed » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:13 pm

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:49 pm
The thought had crossed my mind. How many inches bore is recommended for home defense?
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:19 pm

solely wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:54 pm
Are we dealing with a young person here or has she reached an age she should know better?
29 going on 16, it seems.
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:31 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:07 pm
Call the cops, get a restraining order
Well, since she doesn't know his full name or where he's currently staying, that is problematic. Nor has he in fact made any threats, nothing actionable so far as I know.

We have taken appropriate steps to physically secure the house, and certainly will call the police if he shows up behaving aggressively. Despite the sensationalist headline, this is apparently a matter of $100. So far he's not bothered.
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:33 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:12 pm
gnome wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:29 pm
Don't open the door, clearly tell him to get off your property. Call the cops. Are you sorta rural?
Suburban.
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:35 pm

gnome wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 pm
Rob Lister wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:49 pm
The thought had crossed my mind. How many inches bore is recommended for home defense?

I like
S&W model 36.

I don't have any guns anymore. I gave the above to my oldest son when he was 25. He now has several of various calibers
Last edited by Rob Lister on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Hmmm ... so body disposal is problematic.

12ga. BB shot
Spoiler:
I do have a pond
Seriously ... let the cops know so that if you call later they will be aware.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:45 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:07 pm
:D You have a gun?

That was cruel
Hey, I brought it up here so that we could have a few yuks about it. Not because it isn't serious, but because it is and I could use the levity.

I don't actually keep a gun, but this is kind of interesting--she called for a ride from a 7-11 in his neighborhood because she was worried he was looking for her. For the first time in my 46 years I brought something to use as a weapon in case there was trouble, a bat that usually has no particular purpose in our home except that a part of me wondered if I'd ever need it. However, the presence of my stepson (24) on the trip was a little more reassuring even than that. He's in decent shape and spent his late teens and early adulthood mostly on his own in downtown St. Petersburg. He moved back home with us to step away from the kind of trouble and violence that had claimed the life of one of his friends. Smartest thing he ever did, and he's behaved as a mostly sensible and self-sufficient adult ever since. The only reason he's living with us at all, is because we'd like him to be able to come with us to CO when we move, and it'll help him save up to have his own place once he's there.
--Soldier, TF2

ed

Post by ed » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:52 pm

Not a pistol for home defence tho the one lister showed you is one I carry occasionally.

solely

Post by solely » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:24 pm

I've got nothing funny for you, I wish you all the best.