The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: The UK thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Jalapeňos on top? Cultural appropriation.

I've had Puerto Rican morcilla which is a black pudding I suppose. No jalapeňos of course. Those are not the Puerto Rican way.

Now that I think of it, cuchifrtos are quite English in character. :coolspecs:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cuchifr ... 71&bih=696
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:56 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:50 pm

Boris Johnson denies asking Trump to arrange ‘ambush’ with grieving parents and US woman involved in their son’s death

President claimed: ‘I spoke with Boris, he asked me if I’d do that and I did it’

Downing Street has denied Donald Trump's claim that Boris Johnson asked him to arrange a meeting between the grieving family of British teenager Harry Dunn and the American woman allegedly responsible for his death.

The prime minister’s spokesperson said he was not aware the US president planned to bring the couple to the White House at the same time as Anne Sacoolas, who fled the UK following the car crash that killed the 19-year-old in August.

The family’s spokesperson accused Mr Trump of having “ambushed” Dunn’s parents by inviting them to the Oval Office and then revealing Ms Sacoolas, whose husband is a US intelligence official, was in the next room.

The president later claimed: “I spoke with Boris, he asked me if I’d do that and I did it.”

But a Number 10 spokesperson said on Thursday: “The PM and the president spoke last Wednesday and the PM asked the president to do all he could to resolve the issue.

“During the conversation, the president raised a possibility of a meeting with Anne Sacoolas at the White House but at that stage we weren’t aware of any plans for the family to go [to the US] so it wasn’t discussed further.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 59766.html

solely

Post by solely » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:58 pm

I don't want to be rude to the parents, but please explain the "ambush". It offered an opportunity to confront
the woman. Was it a traffic accident? Was she drunk or on drugs, if not, it's a horrible tragedy.
What do they want?

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:10 pm

solely wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:58 pm
I don't want to be rude to the parents, but please explain the "ambush". It offered an opportunity to confront
the woman. Was it a traffic accident? Was she drunk or on drugs, if not, it's a horrible tragedy.
What do they want?
They want her to be tried in the UK, not to "confront" her – which would be meaningless. From what I read: she killed the young dude by driving on the wrong side of the street, then fled to the US under phony diplomatic immunity.
There's a Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Harry_Dunn.

And then The Donald™ had one of his bright ideas.

solely

Post by solely » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:50 pm

Is that normal procedure? If drunk or on drugs, stick her head on a pike, if not it's an accident. Meeting
with her offers an opportunity to express her sorrow and apologize. The rest is for lawyers.
He was just attempting to bring them together, it's too bad they felt "ambushed".

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:35 pm

Not her fault the entire UK drives on the wrong side of the road.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:37 am

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:29 am

solely wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:50 pm
Is that normal procedure? If drunk or on drugs, stick her head on a pike, if not it's an accident. Meeting
with her offers an opportunity to express her sorrow and apologize. The rest is for lawyers.
He was just attempting to bring them together, it's too bad they felt "ambushed".
There are "accidents" and then there are statutory offences such as Driving without due care and attention, Dangerous driving and Causing death by dangerous driving, all of which can result in quite severe sentences.

I'd say that killing someone by driving on the wrong side of the fucking road, whether drunk, sober or fucked out your sodding mind on whatever drugs you can get your hands on qualifies as all three!
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:58 am

In America I don't think the Secret Service would allow the president to ride around on a bike in public like that. He could be attacked. Has the UK ever had any incidents like that? America has had so many presidents assassinated or attempted to be assassinated. Now they drive the president around in an armored vehicle.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 am

Spencer Perceval, assassinated May 11, 1812. None since. Weird.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:44 am

How many killed in duels? :)

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:16 pm

Labour MP Jo Cox was murdered by a right-wing loonie three years ago and the IRA killed and maimed a fair few back in the good old days. They very nearly managed to assassinate Margaret Thatcher and her entire cabinet. Five died during the bombing and many more were injured.

As a rule, though, UK politicians don't perhaps receive as much protection as they should. I know my local MP, Andrew Gwynne, a ranking Labour Party official, wanders around here with no protection whatsoever.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:24 pm

It was like that in the USA before the Civil War.

And speaking of civil wars, the last time a reigning English monarch was executed his name was Charles. :wink:

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:31 pm

It probably helps that very few Brits possess firearms and the penalties for illegal possession of such are severe.

(Awaits outcry from all the Yanks.) :D

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:38 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:59 pm

Harry Dunn: Crash victim's family to take Foreign Office to court

The family of Harry Dunn is to begin legal action against the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).

Family spokesperson Radd Seiger told Sky News: "The first action we will be taking is against the FCO."

Mr Seiger said: "We will be shortly issuing a letter of claim which is a prelude to a judicial review.

"We are absolutely clear that the Foreign Office's decision to advise Northamptonshire Police that Mrs Sacoolas had the benefit of diplomatic immunity was unlawful and we will be seeking a judicial review of that decision to have it quashed."

He also appealed for Mrs Sacoolas "to come back to this country and face the music".

The family has also referred Northamptonshire Police to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

Both the British and US governments agree that by returning to the US Mrs Sacoolas forfeited the right to diplomatic immunity.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-50173355

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:30 am

Rather alarming article in today's Independent re. the political violence issue.
Voters on both sides of the Brexit divide believe that violence against MPs and members of the public is a “price worth paying” to secure their favoured outcome, a new study has found.

A majority of both Leave and Remain voters would be happy to accept attacks on politicians and violent protests in which members of the public are badly injured if it meant they got Brexit outcome they want, according to a new polls.

Researchers said they were “genuinely shocked” by the findings, which come amid concerns about threats against MPs.

The YouGov surveys found that 71 per cent of Leave voters in England, 60 per cent in Scotland and 70 per cent in Wales think violence against MPs would be a ”price worth paying” to deliver Brexit.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:18 pm

French style revolution? :)

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:13 pm

A dumbass population.