The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: The UK thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:14 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:13 pm
A dumbass population.
Internet tough guys? 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Idiots nostalgic for a Britain that never was on one side and idiots who can't see that the EU desperately needs reform on the other.

And some real-life, scary, not-to-be-fucked-with tough guys.

*SIGH*
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:17 pm

BBC News launches 'dark web' Tor mirror

The BBC has made its international news website available via the Tor network, in a bid to thwart censorship attempts.

The Tor browser is privacy-focused software used to access the dark web.

The browser can obscure who is using it and what data is being accessed, which can help people avoid government surveillance and censorship.

Countries including China, Iran and Vietnam are among those who have tried to block access to the BBC News website or programmes.

Instead of visiting bbc.co.uk/news or bbc.com/news, users of the Tor browser can visit the new bbcnewsv2vjtpsuy.onion web address. Clicking this web address will not work in a regular web browser.

The dark web copy of the BBC News website will be the international edition, as seen from outside the UK.

It will include foreign language services such as BBC Arabic, BBC Persian and BBC Russian.

But UK-only content and services such as BBC iPlayer will not be accessible, due to broadcast rights.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50150981

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:34 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:15 am
Well, that's Mrs. Camel's holiday of a lifetime in Vegas fucked, she was due to leave on Tuesday. Now I'll have to put up with her at home for a fortnight when I was planning to build a model railway. :(

Linky.

Why historians are fighting to save Thomas Cook’s enormous archive

The collapse of Thomas Cook left 155,000 tourists stranded overseas, forcing the UK government to step in to orchestrate the biggest ever peacetime repatriation. The company’s 9,000 employees woke up on September 23 with no job. The focus is, justifiably, on the people immediately affected by this terrible news.

But it’s also important to take the long view. With this 178-year-old firm, its heritage is also about to be lost and a number of business historians – myself included – are fighting to save it.

Thomas Cook maintained a company archive in its Peterborough headquarters, which includes millions of written records and thousands of artefacts. This is an invaluable resource not just for the history of tourism, but also a record of innovation and social change that provides an unrivalled insight into Britain’s relationship with leisure and travel.
Office workers outside the Thomas Cook’s Peterborough headquarters. Joe Giddens/PA Wire/PA Images

The company’s founder, Thomas Cook, invented tourism as we know it today, against a substantial public backlash from Victorian elites of the 19th century who viewed travel as the preserve of aristocrats and the wealthy. They were horrified by the notion they might rub shoulders with the riff-raff of the working and middle classes.

Newspapers at the time vilified Cook, even likening him to a “modern Attila”, who, with his “swarms of followers” like the “barbarian hordes of old”, would ravage the “fairest provinces of Italy”. When it started, the firm mostly offered group holidays, first in the UK and later abroad. These proved to be immensely popular with a clientele that had previously not had the means or knowledge to engage in this pastime.

Changing the narrative

Cook’s genius as a businessman was to make this new mode of travel socially acceptable. The firm opened its first office in London in 1861, and both the company and the man were attacked by the press and traditional wealthy “traveller” (they called themselves travellers as opposed to mere tourists) for most of the 1860s. Yet by 1877, Cook had successfully changed the narrative. The press now celebrated his role in cultivating tourists as knowledgeable travellers. The wealthy and the aristocracy even starting using his travel agency when travelling to more exotic destinations, such as Egypt.

This social history of tourism and the strategies used by the firm to make its innovative business model socially acceptable can all be gleaned from the resources maintained in the firm’s archive, which is now at risk of being lost as a result of the company’s collapse.

There is historical precedent here. The Wedgwood Archive and Art collection was nearly lost after the company’s collapse in 2009, but is now managed with help from the Victoria and Albert Museum. It was one of many major companies that failed in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis – including Woolworths Group, Lewis’s of Liverpool, Comet, Clinton Cards and Borders – leaving their heritage at risk.

In response, the Business Archives Council created a crisis management team, which has worked hard to save some of these historical records. By 2017, the team has handled 100 such cases. Nevertheless, the number of archives that can actually be saved is unfortunately lower, because they are dealing with a number of challenges.
https://theconversation.com/why-histori ... ive-124435 for the rest.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:51 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:18 am

Take this five gallon gasoline can to Montgomery with this message; “Although I am sadly short of gasoline myself, I know of your admiration for our equipment and supplies and I can spare you this five gallons. It will be more than enough to take you as far as you probably will advance in the next two days.”
– General George S. Patton Jr.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:51 am

George S. Patton Jr.: I know I'm a prima donna. I admit it. What I can't stand about Monty is, he won't admit it.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:36 pm

I hadn't heard about that, Abdul, thanks.

Patton seems to have been quite a character.

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:40 am

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:03 pm

↑ I think I've already seen that. :P

Archbishop of Canterbury calls on Boris Johnson to mind his language

The Archbishop of Canterbury has taken Prime Minister Boris Johnson to task for his use of "inflammatory" language through the Brexit debate.

Justin Welby told the Sunday Times there was a risk of pouring "petrol" on the country's divisions on the issue of Britain's departure from the European Union.

The archbishop said Mr Johnson had come to symbolise a climate in which Britain had become consumed by "an abusive and binary approach to political decisions", and where those with opposing views treated each other as "total" enemies.

In an era in which social media had made it "extraordinarily dangerous to use careless comments", and in which hate speech was on the rise, Mr Welby called for political leaders to take more care with their language.

He said his criticisms were not confined to Mr Johnson and his Government, but made it clear he considered the prime minister partly to blame for the fact society had become "quite broken".

"I think we have become addicted to an abusive and binary approach to political decisions: 'It's either this or you're my total enemy'," Mr Welby told the paper.

"There have been inflammatory words used on all sides, in parliament and outside - 'traitor', 'fascist', all kinds of really bad things have been said at the highest level in politics."
https://www.premierchristianradio.com/N ... s-language

Will BoJo have him beheaded?

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:06 pm

It'd be a good start to be sure.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:03 pm

Welby: “if only conservatives would stop trying to win debates. It would be so much more agreeable if they would apologetically concede the argument “

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:14 am

UK set for a December election as opposition Labour party backs calls
  • Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said in a statement Tuesday morning that he was satisfied that conditions had been met to go to the polls before Christmas.
  • "I have consistently said that we are ready for an election and our support is subject to a no-deal Brexit being off the table," Corbyn told his senior colleagues.
The British government looks set to get its pre-Christmas wish for a December general election in a vote on Tuesday, after gaining the crucial support of the main opposition Labour party.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said in a statement Tuesday morning that he was satisfied that conditions had been met to go to the polls before Christmas.

"I have consistently said that we are ready for an election and our support is subject to a no-deal Brexit being off the table," Corbyn told his senior colleagues.

"We have now heard from the EU that the extension of Article 50 to 31st January has been confirmed, so for the next three months, our condition of taking no-deal off the table has now been met. We will now launch the most ambitious and radical campaign for real change our country has ever seen," the Labour leader added.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/28/boris-j ... er-12.html

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:38 pm

Are those generic carolers or UK politicians I should recognize?

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:12 pm

It’s grim up north.

“A teenage tree surgeon had his hand chopped off with an axe in an 'appalling' attack carried out by an armed mob sparked by a road rage row in Rochdale, a court heard.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-17107382

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:47 pm

Robots on the rise and heading for Cumbria

A range of innovative robotic systems will be on display at an event in Cumbria next month as an £8.5 million competition moves to the next stage.

The showcase event, at Energus in Workington on 12 November, will feature the 5 projects that have been under way for 2 years as part of the Integrated Innovation in Nuclear Decommissioning competition, which is aimed at finding new ways to tackle some of Sellafield’s toughest radioactive challenges.

The initiative is funded jointly by the NDA, government agency Innovate UK and BEIS, while Sellafield is providing facilities for potentially demonstrating up to two of the integrated solutions. These solutions may be deployed to help decommission the site’s reprocessing plants, where radioactivity levels are so high that new ways to carry out the work remotely will be needed.

Combining robotics with virtual reality, 3D imaging, autonomous navigation and more, the new scaleable and transferable solutions will be required to access spaces that have been sealed for years. Once inside, they will need to characterise the challenge, including measuring and visualising the radioactivity, before cutting up the contents (including large vessels and many miles of pipework), segregating waste, then removing it for treatment and safe storage.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/robo ... or-cumbria

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:59 am

Witness wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:59 pm
Harry Dunn: Crash victim's family to take Foreign Office to court
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-50173355
White House and U.S. official's wife sued by parents of teen killed in car crash in U.K.

Nearly three months after 19-year-old Harry Dunn was killed in a head-on collision in England, lawyers for his family are suing the Trump administration, as well as Anne Sacoolas, the wife of an American official who admitted to causing the car crash.

Harry's stepsister, Larna Harber, told CBS News it's a step they never wanted to take.

"In simple words: Get her back on the plane to the U.K. Donald Trump has the authorities to do that and I can't understand why they're not," she said. "She's a mom of three children — what example is this setting to her three children? … It just seems wrong. I don't understand why when something seems so simple to us."

Sacoolas' immunity is a complex issue — one that reached the highest levels of government in the U.K. and led Harry's parents all the way to the White House, where they say they were "shocked" when President Trump asked them to meet with Sacoolas who was in an adjoining room.

They declined that meeting, saying they would only meet with her in the U.K. and only in the presence of grief counselors. That still hasn't happened.

The family said it will accuse the administration of "lawless misconduct" and will also be seeking damages.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/harry-dunn ... ath-in-uk/

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:16 am

Witness wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:59 am
Witness wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:59 pm
Harry Dunn: Crash victim's family to take Foreign Office to court
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-50173355
White House and U.S. official's wife sued by parents of teen killed in car crash in U.K.

Nearly three months after 19-year-old Harry Dunn was killed in a head-on collision in England, lawyers for his family are suing the Trump administration, as well as Anne Sacoolas, the wife of an American official who admitted to causing the car crash.

Harry's stepsister, Larna Harber, told CBS News it's a step they never wanted to take.

"In simple words: Get her back on the plane to the U.K. Donald Trump has the authorities to do that and I can't understand why they're not," she said. "She's a mom of three children — what example is this setting to her three children? … It just seems wrong. I don't understand why when something seems so simple to us."

Sacoolas' immunity is a complex issue — one that reached the highest levels of government in the U.K. and led Harry's parents all the way to the White House, where they say they were "shocked" when President Trump asked them to meet with Sacoolas who was in an adjoining room.

They declined that meeting, saying they would only meet with her in the U.K. and only in the presence of grief counselors. That still hasn't happened.

The family said it will accuse the administration of "lawless misconduct" and will also be seeking damages.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/harry-dunn ... ath-in-uk/
But can they impeach him?