The Karmic Justice Thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

The Karmic Justice Thread

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:38 am

Item the first:

Man who advocated caning for adultery gets caned for adultery
(CNN) An Indonesian man has been publicly flogged for adultery, under a draconian law he helped create.

Mukhlis, a member of the Aceh Ulema Council (MPU) in the deeply conservative Aceh province of Indonesia, received 28 lashes in front of a crowd on Thursday after being caught having an affair with a married woman. Like many Indonesians, Mukhlis goes by a single name.
His agency advises the local government on drafting and implementing religious laws.

A video by the AFP news agency shows him grimacing as each strike is delivered onto his back by a masked officer on a stage, in front of a handful of onlookers -- some of whom filmed on their cell phones. The woman with whom he was caught also received a series of lashes.
Aceh, the country's only region to impose Sharia law, uses caning to punish a series of offenses, such as homosexuality, drinking alcohol and having sex outside of marriage.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: The Karmic Justice Thread

Post by ed » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:33 am

uses caning to punish ... homosexuality, drinking alcohol and having sex outside of marriage.
[/quote]

Umm .... there are some (not to mention names) that might move to Indonesia for just this reason.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I care :rub:

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:37 pm

You know, I’m not really bothered by this.

The guy getting the punishment he advocated for others, of course. But as long as there’s reasonable due process, canning in general doesn’t really bother me, either. We could use it instead of incarceration for minor crimes. Or give convicted criminals the choice.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:59 am

shuize wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:37 pm
But as long as there’s reasonable due process, canning in general doesn’t really bother me, either.
I get your point. But depending how it is applied it can leave you crippled, or worse. Same for flogging.

And in the US you'd have an interesting political uproar:

shuize

Post by shuize » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:12 am

Witness wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:59 am
And in the US you'd have an interesting political uproar:

Easily solved.

Let black people administer the caning. Ha! Ha!

It’s what they’ve been after all along.
Last edited by shuize on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:14 am

shuize for President! :mrgreen:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:16 am

Reminds me of an anecdote in the book Borstal Boy by Brendan Behan. That is his reminiscence of life in the Borstal, which is an English reform school.

At one point they get to play footie with boys from one of the public schools. The Borstal boys are astonished by how much the public schoolboys get flogged as a matter of course, whereas in the Borstal flogging was only for serious offenses and only after a hearing.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:23 am

↑ See? You just have to start early to get everyone accustomed to it. :twisted:

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:07 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:12 am

I put it here as it's about consequences of what you do or don't:
Striped bass were once extinct in the St. Lawrence. Now they're back

Recovery of popular trophy fish could boost economy while proving damaged ecosystems can be repaired

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.5339129

Japanese Fisheries Collapsed Due to Pesticides, New Research Says

Scientists announced today that pesticide use on rice fields led to the collapse of a nearby fishery in Lake Shinji, Japan, according to a new study published in the journal Science.

The long-term study seems to have borne out the prophecy of Rachel Carson's seminal 1962 book Silent Spring, in which the author describes the nefarious trickle down effects of chemical pesticides that could "still the leaping of fish." While it is impossible to say that the use of pesticides caused the collapse of the fishery, the correlation is extremely strong.

The researchers looked at the degradation of the food chain around rice paddies after the introduction of the pesticide neonicotinoids in 1993 in Japan. The study showed an immediate decline in insect and plankton populations in Lake Shinji after the pesticide was sprayed in nearby rice fields, as The Guardian reported.

The decline in insects and plankton then led to the collapse of eel and smelt populations, which rely on the tiny insects for food. The scientists looked at other possible causes for the collapse of the smelt and eel fisheries, but those were all ruled out. The scientists say there is "compelling evidence" that neonicotinoids are the culprit, as The Guardian reported.
https://www.ecowatch.com/japan-fisherie ... belltitem2