Christmas Dinner

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: G_D

Christmas Dinner

Post by ed »

We have made the same thing for 10-15 years. Filet w/ Stilton Cheese sauce, brissel sprouts, twice cooked ptatoes. Veggies vary, eat the same.

Time for a change (maybe). We were thinking poached Striper /remoulade alonge with eggplant parm. We are thinking now of a ham but want a sauce of some sort. Not stupid pineapple/apple/brown suger crap. Something interesting.

Thoughts???
This space for let
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Christmas Dinner

Post by Rob Lister »

I will sous-vide a fucking goose.
solely

Post by solely »

Seriously!
Witness

Post by Witness »

The French traditional way for ham is "Jambon braisé au madère" (braised ham with Madeira wine). Here's a link you can put through some translation machine: http://www.recettesdecuisine.tv/recette ... adere.html.

There are numerous variants, with beer, cider (and pears), &c. Improvise.

Cut lozenges from the rind so it won't split during the long cooking:

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Meatloaf on lettuce.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

???

Fucking yankees.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

TV dinners. Because ... Umerca!!!#1#1#1

And shit.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

We always have a prime rib. I look forward to continuing that tradition, simply because I love me some prime rib
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

That sounds better than goose, sous-vide or otherwise. Certainly better than meatloaf on ... blah ... lettuce.

What are the sides?
izittrue

Post by izittrue »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:18 pm We always have a prime rib. I look forward to continuing that tradition, simply because I love me some prime rib
Same here. Tamales usually on Xmas eve. Then rib on Xmas.
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Rob Lister wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:25 pm That sounds better than goose, sous-vide or otherwise. Certainly better than meatloaf on ... blah ... lettuce.

What are the sides?
Chani makes the best mashed potatoes you ever had and I make a pretty decent gravy from the roast’s pan drippings. Usually also a salad and some crescent rolls.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

izittrue wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:37 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:18 pm We always have a prime rib. I look forward to continuing that tradition, simply because I love me some prime rib
Same here. Tamales usually on Xmas eve. Then rib on Xmas.
I have always wanted to try my hand at tamales
Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:31 pm My Christmas breakfast when I was a kid. :coolspecs:
Ah! A panettone – delicious with some salty butter.

I had the Orthodox version, but for Easter:

:coolspecs:
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
ed

Post by ed »

Witness wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:01 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:31 pm My Christmas breakfast when I was a kid. :coolspecs:
Ah! A panettone – delicious with some salty butter.

I had the Orthodox version, but for Easter:

:coolspecs:
How do they fit those bearded guys into those little shells?
This space for let
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

In reality...traditional Christmas dinner at Dad's & Mom's house involved a huge bowl of spaghetti thoroughly mixed with extra-virgin olive oil, anchovies, and asparagus...or was the asparagus on the side...no onions!...plus red wine...stuffed mushrooms...huge salad...wine...breaded smelt for good luck...wine...breaded calamari...baked bread...wine...asparagus again...those damn little pastries that look like cookies but are really hard biscuits with pepper cooked into them...wine...tons of real cookies...wine...screaming children...screaming adults...espresso that was basically rocket fuel to offset all that wine...Dad did all the cooking...you'd be taking your life in your hands if you interrupted him!...Dad gave the toast "Salud!"...Mom beamed around at everybody...alas, now t'is but a memory.
Last edited by Pyrrho on Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ed

Post by ed »

Sounds nice.
This space for let
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

You'd have loved it. We sure did.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Oh yeah...then everybody crowded into the living room while Dad handed out the presents and the adults sucked down the espresso. Heh.
ed

Post by ed »

How many people would be there? Kid/adults
This space for let
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

The last one, 14 adults, 13 kids.

I forgot the Italian sausage..... hot for the manly men, mild for the sissies. And the party trays with provolone, prosciutto, sausage, pickled artichokes, 3 different kinds of olives, real mozzarella...you get that from Gallucci's over on the boulevard, they got everything there. And pizza from Mazzone's.
ed

Post by ed »

You of the wopish persuasion?

Damn sounds like holidays with my ex wife's family .... saaaaay
This space for let
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Half...I am what you might call a mutt.
Witness

Post by Witness »

ed wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:46 am How do they fit those bearded guys into those little shells?
All saints have superpowers – as you should know. :bishop:
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

ed is not a saint.

He's an 'elder god'.

Elder gods ... make ... saints.

Very soon now, he'll see my point and make me a saint. OTOH, I might win the lottery too...

Oh, and fuck.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

French onion soup, scallops and then lamb steaks in cream, brandy and pepper sauce with roast potatoes, sprouts, roast parsnips, Yorkshire pudding, baby corn, braised red cabbage and apple, leeks in cheese sauce, pigs in blankets, honey and ginger glazed carrots and chestnut stuffing. Strawberry cheesecake for pud. :)

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
ed

Post by ed »

Sounds good.

lamb steaks in cream, brandy and pepper sauce particularly this lamb steaks in cream, brandy and pepper sauce

Best to you and your lady wife, AC.
This space for let
Fid

Post by Fid »

asthmatic camel wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:02 pm French onion soup, scallops and then lamb steaks in cream, brandy and pepper sauce with roast potatoes, sprouts, roast parsnips, Yorkshire pudding, baby corn, braised red cabbage and apple, leeks in cheese sauce, pigs in blankets, honey and ginger glazed carrots and chestnut stuffing. Strawberry cheesecake for pud. :)

Dang, I thought you folks were starving what with the Brexit and the German U-boats. Anyway happy happy bud for your lovely wife and your sorry arse too.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

ed

Post by ed »

Horrible dinner.
Virginia ham, sucked, my "glaze" was putrid and nondescript

"Scalloped potatoes" were slivers of starch in wallpaper paste. "There is no difference between good scalloped potatoes and bad scalloped potatoes", to paraphrase Wag the Dog

Crappy broccoli and cauliflower in "creme sauce" simply leveraged the wallpaper paste from the potatoes and added green and white embellishments. Bland and horrid and shitty

Sweet potatoes were out of a can and slavered with brown sugar and butter and pancake syrup. Should have been the worst, turned out to be the best and that tells you something.

Forgot there was pineapple. Hate it though.

Thing is we usually do the fillet in stilton with roasted pototes etc. This year we were pissed off at everybody and thought "fuck all if I'm spending $500 on this ungrateful lot".

Horrible horrible. No booze because of the "problem" that 2 of them have (the third one was a no show, no call, no nothin'. But hey, just spent $300k on fucking RISD so she can wait tables. Really :x :x ) Lack of booze is bad because everyone could stew and recognize how we are not terribly happy together in a sober state.

This is no exaggeration. My wife and I woke up muttering and exchanging angry glances (not at each other, just general piss offedness).

I wanted to run off to Isla Morada in the Keys for xmas. "Nooooooooooooooooo we have to be with family". Well, as Jesus said "we have our reward"

I will be irritated for a day or so. Watch out. No metric. :x :x :x No modulo :x :x :x

eta and AC keep your fucking food to yourself :x :x And your pleasantly surprised wife too. :x :x
This space for let
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Sliced chicken breast smothered in mozzarella and marinara, baked in a baking dish slathered with olive oil, then served over the pasta of your choice, upon which one ladles an appropriate portion of additional marinara.
solely

Post by solely »

Steamed broccoli- no seasoning- none! no butter, oil- none!
Brown rice- no seasoning- none! no butter, oil- none!
Silken tofu- no seasoning- none! nothing!
No alcohol- NONE!
ed

Post by ed »

Vegan bastard
This space for let
solely

Post by solely »

Dying carbon unit.
solely

Post by solely »

No salt, NONE!NOTHINg!

They shoot horses, don't they?
solely

Post by solely »

No.

It's organic too.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Tonight:

ed

Post by ed »

Weiners.

Two of them.
This space for let
sparks

Post by sparks »

Looks good.

Simple yet satisfying.