For their own good...

How can we expose more people to critical thinking?
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

For their own good...

Post by Pyrrho »

Colleges are turning students’ phones into surveillance machines, tracking the locations of hundreds of thousands
When Syracuse University freshmen walk into professor Jeff Rubin’s Introduction to Information Technologies class, seven small Bluetooth beacons hidden around the Grant Auditorium lecture hall connect with an app on their smartphones and boost their “attendance points.”

And when they skip class? The SpotterEDU app sees that, too, logging their absence into a campus database that tracks them over time and can sink their grade. It also alerts Rubin, who later contacts students to ask where they’ve been. His 340-person lecture has never been so full.

“They want those points,” he said. “They know I’m watching and acting on it. So, behaviorally, they change.”
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: For their own good...

Post by sparks »

And here I thought grades were determined by competence.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

solely

Post by solely »

sparks wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:33 pm
And here I thought grades were determined by competence.

Dinosaur.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

So if you don't bring your phone to the lecture (because you really want to pay attention the lecture) you are marked absent.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

An entrepreneur type would carry student phones to class for a reasonable fee.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I thought about that too, but most young people these days can't bear to be separated from their phone for that long.
I'd also be concerned about what they might do with it. A clever person could probably figure out how to unlock it. Not a chance worth taking just to skip a lecture. I figure if I'm paying for it, I might as well get what I'm paying for. I know, not everyone goes to college for the education, but still.

Also, literally everyone of college age owns a smartphone these days I guess. They don't have to consider alternative ways for people who don't own smartphones?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:36 am
I thought about that too, but most young people these days can't bear to be separated from their phone for that long.
I'd also be concerned about what they might do with it. A clever person could probably figure out how to unlock it. Not a chance worth taking just to skip a lecture.
Burners.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

It's an example of a company taking advantage of an opportunity created by technology that did not exist before the smartphone era. Also, it's an example of "authority" taking advantage of the same opportunity--although the "authority" in this case had to decide it was a good idea. The colleges don't necessarily have to require students to use the SpotterEDU app. The goals appear to be lofty: to help students who don't have their minds right and are skipping classes, by making it much easier for professors and administrators to chase and catch students who got rabbit in their blood. That requires the purchase, installation, and maintenance of technological infrastructure and, one might guess, administrative positions to maintain the database. All to ensure that students successfully graduate and earn degrees so that they can take jobs where they can "work from home".

<insert bloviation upon psychological aspects of the exercise of petty power by professors and administrators>

For any who care:

Code: Select all

https://spotteredu.com/

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Why not grade and take attendance the old fashioned way? In fact, why bother to take attendance at all? It's fucking college after all. And if Dipshit gets good grades without showing up much, who the fuck cares? And if Dipshit doesn't get good grades in spite of showing up every day, then they have a problem with Daddy and Mommy who are footing the fucking bills.

The new fangled tech is unnecessary crawdad shit.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

I wonder if professor evaluation is linked to class attendance and grade averages.

sparks

Post by sparks »

Good point Pyrrho! Should be. Further, professor evaluation should be directly tied to professor salary.

That'd weed out the fucking ineffective idiots right quick.