'Murica

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: 'Murica

Post by Rob Lister »

While surrounding states passed legislation forbidding them.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

US dropped bombs in Afghanistan at record level in 2019

KABUL, Afghanistan — The United States dropped more bombs and other munitions in Afghanistan last year than any other year since documentation began in 2006, Air Force data shows.

American aircraft released 7,423 munitions in the country in 2019, according to figures published Monday by U.S. Air Forces Central Command. Coalition aircraft flew nearly 8,800 sorties during the period, over a quarter of which carried out strikes.

The tally surpasses the previous record set last year when 7,362 munitions were released and comes amid ongoing discussion between American and Taliban officials aimed at ending America’s longest war.

Talks between the two sides continued for most of 2019 as American bombs were dropped.

“The U.S. has been very explicitly using stepped-up attacks on the Taliban as a form of leverage-seeking,” Laurel Miller, former U.S. acting Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan, said in a phone interview, adding that the Taliban also sees violence as its main form of leverage.

The U.S.-Taliban talks resumed last month in Qatar after a three-month pause.

The AFCENT figures include bomb and missile strikes, 105 mm shells fired by AC-130 gunships and strafing fire from 20 mm cannons and up.
https://www.stripes.com/news/middle-eas ... 9-1.616428

Witness

Post by Witness »

The Gun On the Air Force's F-35 Has 'Unacceptable' Accuracy, Pentagon Testing Office Says

Add a gun that can’t shoot straight to the problems that dog Lockheed Martin Corp.’s $428 billion F-35 program, including more than 800 software flaws.

The 25mm gun on Air Force models of the Joint Strike Fighter has “unacceptable” accuracy in hitting ground targets and is mounted in housing that’s cracking, the Pentagon’s test office said in its latest assessment of the costliest U.S. weapons system.

The annual assessment by Robert Behler, the Defense Department’s director of operational test and evaluation, doesn’t disclose any major new failings in the plane’s flying capabilities. But it flags a long list of issues that his office said should be resolved — including 13 described as Category 1 “must-fix” items that affect safety or combat capability — before the F-35’s upcoming $22 billion Block 4 phase.

The number of software deficiencies totaled 873 as of November, according to the report obtained by Bloomberg News in advance of its release as soon as Friday. That’s down from 917 in September 2018, when the jet entered the intense combat testing required before full production, including 15 Category 1 items. What was to be a year of testing has now been extended another year until at least October.
https://time.com/5774422/f-35-military-jet-assessment/

Happy taxpayers! :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Cleveland.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

None to worry, Witness. We are in the green.

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-ris ... ked-2015-8

Don't go loaning any money to Venezuela....
Such potential!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

That's from 2015. I wonder what the same data would look like today. E.g., things looked pretty bad for Greece in 2015, but a lot better recently:

http://www.ekathimerini.com/247027/arti ... untry-risk
Greek credit default swaps (CDS) surprisingly represent the second most active market in Europe this year, after Italy’s. However, the flurry of transactions for the CDS notes – that bank on a Greek bankruptcy – does not denote a rebound in fears of a default – quite the opposite in fact.

While the spread of the five-year CDS has shrunk to a historic low of 150 basis points – just 20 bps above Italy’s – the activity of Greece’s credit default swaps has peaked as there are many sellers and buyers.
The graph above shows a spread of over 2000 bps, whereas it was only 150 bps as of late 2019.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Mississippi Lawmaker Wants to Force Kids to Say Christian Prayers in School

Mississippi State Rep. Jill Ford took office just a couple of weeks ago, and her first bill will be an illegal one.

Ford, who hasn’t officially filed the bill, said in a Facebook post that it would bring forced Christian prayer back into public schools.
[Jan. 27] was also the day I filed my very first Bill. A Bill that will more than likely never see the light of day. But one the Lord planted in my heart years ago: To begin every morning with The Lord’s Prayer in every public school in Mississippi.

Can you only imagine what would begin to happen in the Spiritual Realm if the children would stand before Him lifting their heads in prayer asking Him to “lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil” – oh how we would see the atmosphere begin to change across Mississippi as depression and suicide would stop becoming the norm, we would watch as our children’s grades begin to rise, their hearts softened and their minds saturated with good thoughts and not thoughts of addictions. The Word says “the eyes of the Lord range to and fro searching for those hearts committed to Him” and I believe that His eyes would fall on our children every single morning as they continually sought him to “give them this day their daily bread …” my heart melts just imagining it!

First step is requesting Congress to allow prayer back in school. Stranger things have happened: it got taken out by one hell-bent woman. Maybe, just maybe, this heaven-bent woman could have something to do with getting it put back in. I know there is a lot of editing to be done, but I just pray it will at least be taken seriously.
Ford is lying. She’s a Republican. It’s what they do.

She’s referring at the end there to Madalyn Murray O’Hare, the atheist who was one of several people who fought to end mandatory Christian prayers in school in the 1960s. Conservative Christians have long said that’s synonymous with eradicating prayer from school, which isn’t true. Kids can pray. Kids can read the Bible. If there are extracurricular clubs in school, they can form a Bible club. No one is stopping them. No one has ever tried to stop them.

But what Ford wants is for everyone — Jews, Muslims, atheists, etc. — to have to listen to the prayers of her religion to start the school day. It might make her heart melt, but her reaction would be very different if someone made her pray to Allah every morning.

Even if this bill passes, it would be illegal and unenforceable. The fear isn’t that this will go into effect; it’s that someone as ignorant as she is happens to be in a position of power. If her first act in the legislature is to promote Christian supremacy, contrary to the Constitution, who knows what else she’ll try?
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/202 ... in-school/

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

It comes up every so often.

Unlikely to pass, but if it does some parent will take it to court and the law will be thrown out.

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Oh, I understand that it's the Rep's brand of virtue signaling (and "the cockroaches always crawl back" :mrgreen: ).

Also proves she has nothing more urgent to do…

And it's definitely very Murican. :BigGrin3:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

And especially Southern.

BTW, what she proposes is the way it was when my mother was in elementary school in the South (1930s).
Whereas in New York they had generic non-sectarian prayer.

The effect it had was it led to what we have now. :)

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Ah, the South…
Virginia GOP delegate tries to kill own bill to remove Democratic segregationist statue

A Virginia GOP delegate is trying to kill his own bill that would remove a statue of the Democrat and segregationist Harry Byrd.

Del. Wendell Walker (R) introduced a bill to remove the tribute to former governor and U.S. senator in Richmond, after a Democratic push to remove Confederate statues in the state, reported The News & Advance, a Lynchburg, Va., newspaper.

“The reason I put that in was more of a political reason,” Walker said of the reasoning behind wanting to kill the proposal, according to the newspaper.

Walker offered his bill in response to Democratic efforts to remove Confederate statues across the state, including the statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee in the U.S. Capitol building. These controversial efforts have sparked protests, including in Charlottesville in 2017 after the town decided to take down its statue of Lee.

After Democratic delegates expressed their support for Walker's bill, he requested the bill no longer be considered, as he did not want the statue to actually be taken down.

“I think history is very important, whether it’s good, bad or ugly,” Walker said, according to the paper. “I was not willing to allow the governor to have the opportunity to remove statues.”
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... democratic

Local article: https://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/ ... ed4ac.html

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

After Planned Parenthood Was Defunded In Texas The Obvious Happened, Study Confirms

In Texas, up until 2011, there had been impressive progress in tackling teenage pregnancy. The teen pregnancy rate fell by an impressive 44 percent between 1988 and 2011.

According to the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, Texas was still the sixth highest state for number of teen pregnancies, with 65 pregnancies occurring per 1,000 girls in 2011. But progress was definitely being made.

Unfortunately, a new study has now suggested that due to the Texas family planning budget being slashed by 67 percent since 2011, as a direct result, there has been a big spike in teen pregnancies that have resulted in teen births since then. In the four years following 2011, teen birth rates increased by 34 percent, reversing the excellent progress that had been made pre-cuts.

The study, by Analisa Packham of Miami University, reveals that the cuts have resulted in over 80 clinic closures. As a result, Packham claims, around 2,200 teens have given birth that wouldn't have if the cuts hadn't taken place.

Before 2011, when Texas' teen birth rate was at a record low, its budget for family planning was $111 million for two years running. This shrunk to $37.9 million for the next two years. These cuts appear to have had a detrimental impact, the study claims, with a marked increase in teen birth rates of 3.4 percent by 2015.

The cuts in 2011 were presided over by the former governor of Texas, and current Secretary of Energy, Rick Perry, who claimed that the cuts to planned parenthood would somehow decrease the number of abortions in the state. The actual effect of these cuts, according to Packham, is that teenage birth rates are on the rise instead.

"I find little evidence that reducing family planning funding achieved this goal," Packham wrote in her study. "The estimates suggest that nearly 2,200 teens would have not given birth absent the reduction in Texas family planning funding."

The state also has the most cases of repeat teen pregnancies, according to the Center for Disease Control. On top of the problems caused by the closure of planned parenthood clinics, it probably doesn't help matters that 58 percent of school districts in the state offer abstinence-only education, and, incredibly, 25 percent of the districts offer no sex education whatsoever.
https://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-a ... -confirms/

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

After Planned Parenthood Was Defunded In Texas The Obvious Happened, Study Confirms

NOT an unintended consequence, albeit a consequence that many consider not desirable.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:22 am
NOT an unintended consequence, albeit a consequence that many consider not desirable.

Thieved from you! :twisted:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Will the White House Order New Federal Architecture To Be Classical?

While the country was riveted by the President’s impeachment trial, a Washington rumor was quietly bubbling about a potential executive order that, if implemented, would profoundly affect the future of federal architecture.

RECORD has obtained what appears to be a preliminary draft of the order, under which the White House would require rewriting the Guiding Principles for Federal Architecture, issued in 1962, to ensure that “the classical architectural style shall be the preferred and default style” for new and upgraded federal buildings. Entitled “Making Federal Buildings Beautiful Again,” the draft order argues that the founding fathers embraced the classical models of “democratic Athens” and “republican Rome” for the capital’s early buildings because the style symbolized the new nation’s “self-governing ideals” (never mind, of course, that it was the prevailing style of the day).

The draft decries the quality of architecture under the General Service Administration’s (GSA) Design Excellence Program for its failure to re-integrate “our national values into Federal buildings” which too often have been “influenced by Brutalism and Deconstructivism.” The draft document specifically cites the U.S. Federal Building in San Francisco (2007, by Morphosis), the U.S. Courthouse in Austin, Texas (2012, by Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects), and the Wilkie D. Ferguson, Jr. U.S. Courthouse in Miami (2007, by Arquitectonica) for having “little aesthetic appeal.”

The White House did not respond to a request for comment about the executive order.

Meanwhile, last week, the GSA’s Chief Architect and Director of the Design Excellence Program, David Insinga, resigned his post.

In response to this story, the American Institute of Architects (AIA) issued the following statement:

“The AIA strongly opposes uniform style mandates for federal architecture. Architecture should be designed for the specific communities that it serves, reflecting our rich nation’s diverse places, thought, culture and climates. Architects are committed to honoring our past as well as reflecting our future progress, protecting the freedom of thought and expression that are essential to democracy.”
https://www.architecturalrecord.com/art ... -classical

Golden toilets everywhere, I dare hope. :mrgreen: