Huh, I'm still a member here...

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
The Atheist

Re: Huh, I'm still a member here...

Post by The Atheist »

Pyrrho wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:56 pm Wow if they're jawboning about SC that says a lot about the state of online skepticism today.
Just by the bye and since I'm here I'll go further on this - I don't think there is a "state of online skepticism" today, unless "does not exist" is a state of existence.

97% of posts at ISF are in the Politics tab and skeptical subjects draw a post or two. And that's in what is still clearly the biggest skeptical forum - about 900 active members. Without the MDC, there's nothing to work with. Outside of ISF there are several small groups of people who have forums in the name of skepticism but which are actually old pals' groups. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Skeptics, like lots of humans, seem to need a leader, and no Randi = no concerted effort.

But when you look at the numbers, it's all pretty obvious. The total number of people who care enough about skepticism to even be on a skeptically-inclined forum is less than a millionth of the number of people who read Farcebook eleventy times a day. And everything on Facebook is true, so who needs skepticism.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:38 pm Erratum: I meant trigger. :BigGrin3:

But seriously, are you back for real? :)
I just checked and it's definitely me, so I guess so. I come and go at ISF, currently in a "go" phase.

I'll see if there's anything that piques my interest.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Your avatar link is broken.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Dr. Matt was only 54 when he passed away.

https://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/anna ... &fhid=5988
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:38 pm But seriously, are you back for real? :)
The Atheist is never really gone
robinson

Post by robinson »

The Atheist wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:35 pm Hey, Robbo! Good to see you still around. You were the sock-puppet master as I recall.
Ha! I don't think so. I have an account there but I can't even remember what it is.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Randi was always the draw, or rather the JREF and million dollar challenge. The usual gang of idiots has no interest, and there is no way to ever explain why this is so.

But smart people figure it out.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:53 pm Dr. Matt was only 54 when he passed away.

https://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/anna ... &fhid=5988
Fuck. I was right - I didn't think he was very old. Nice bloke and a genuine talent lost to the world as well.

Double fuck. He would have been one of the last ones I expected.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Time for you to plunge in.

Got opinions about the Roman Catholic Church? You'll love this one: viewtopic.php?p=924165#p924165 8)

And I'm sure you can find somewhere around here to post your opinions about Trump. :)

Or start a new thread about NZ politics. Too many bloody Australians stinking up the place? :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:03 am Time for you to plunge in.

Got opinions about the Roman Catholic Church? You'll love this one: viewtopic.php?p=924165#p924165 8)

And I'm sure you can find somewhere around here to post your opinions about Trump. :)

Or start a new thread about NZ politics. Too many bloody Australians stinking up the place? :BigGrin3:
Too easy:

RCC - nothing new.
Trump - the only opinion I have is that I hope he stays until the end of his first term. I stand to win US$300 if that happens and it's looking pretty good at this stage.
NZ politics are too boring, yet too complicated.

I will have a scout around though.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The Atheist wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:20 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:03 am Time for you to plunge in.

Too easy:

RCC - nothing new.
Trump - the only opinion I have is that I hope he stays until the end of his first term. I stand to win US$300 if that happens and it's looking pretty good at this stage.
NZ politics are too boring, yet too complicated.

I will have a scout around though.

I always encourage posts to the "Nyarlathotep Appreciation Thread"
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Good to have you back TA.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Hey mate! I'm sure I've seen you about somewhere recently...

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

I remember your name, and it doesn't feel like 10 years since I last heard it, but I can't remember a set of posts that makes me go "oh yeah, that guy!".

Anyway, it's nice to see a familiar name. :oldman:
Such potential!