Roadside shrines

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Re: Roadside shrines

Post by robinson » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Screw that. Where is your sig file from?
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:07 pm

Never mind.

Soldier:
[Soldier is talking to a line of people wearing helmets] "If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight!" Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that nobody could best him in the ring of honor. Then he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth. And then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo!

Camera angle changes to reveal the 'people' he is talking to are all the heads of his decapitated victims, the BLU team, lined up on a fence. The dead medic's head falls onto the ground]

Soldier:
[to the fallen head]... Unless it's a farm!
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:10 pm

To my understanding it comes from Team Fortress II
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:11 pm

Is that where your bit is from?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Just another dead guy with an amusing gravestone. ;)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Bruce wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 am
Doesn't feel like 7 years since I posted this. I live in Massachusetts now and a number of shrines are peppered around this state too. Some are recent, so the trend isn't going away.

It used to bother me, but now in like, fuck it. I want a shrine too. If I die on the highway, I want a big flashing neon sign with an arrow that says Bruce died right here. Under the arrow, I want a bronze cast of my hand giving the finger. And I want a plaque that says, Bruce wanted it this way. Show some respect.
All you're going to get is banned, and you'll like it.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Witness wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:26 pm
My impression is that society slowly moves from extolling afterlife and its rewards (or punishments for the naughty) to just naive, albeit sincere, praise of life in the real world.

No such symbolism:

But (admittedly kitschy) things like this:

In local cemeteries I've seen toys & figurines on the tombs, and if they could drag in other "cherished possessions" they'd probably do it – Egyptian style, in a way.
In the cemetery where my first wife is buried (she died in 1990) there's the grave of a 12 year old boy who was raped, murdered and thrown into the Merrimack river. The stone has a nice portrait of his face engraved, and though it's been over 25 years since he died, his family still leaves toys and other items from his youth. I think it's very touching, I always stop by his grave when I'm there.

I don't mind if people set up roadside shrines if it helps them grieve. It's for them, not for the dead.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:43 pm

Fuck.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.