Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Grammatron

Re: Japan

Post by Grammatron » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:30 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:02 am

Same company I used. Haven't watched the video yet.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:10 am

Momo Is Not Trying to Kill Children

Momo not hurt children. Momo love children.

Give Momo hug.

see also
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:04 am

She just wishes to enslave you in her efforts to rebuild the Great East Asia Cooperation Sphere.

Not fooling us.
Funny, watched a documentary of urban legends which included the infamous "Halloween CANDY IS POISON RAZOR BLADES" legends. There was one infamous case in Texas: a father tried to murder his kids under the guise of poisoned candy. He was executed; you try that shit in California, I mean, "duh!"
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:26 am

Some time ago I posted from Wokketu NUUZU! an Angry Gram's Mom's tweets against the administrators of her daughter's school refusing to let girls were leggings or tights in the freezing winter. Ask Anax's Mom how to convert "寒いいいい!" into a real temperature. Said Mom correctly dismissed the "Old Wives Tales" rationale of the administrators as "you're just a bunch of perverts!"

The Saga Continues:
Japanese schoolgirl points out an especially dumb part of her school’s “no tights” dress code

Some schools in Japan have recently started letting students choose between skirts and slacks, but they’re still in the minority. As for why tights are banned, at least one school says it’s to keep students from becoming too relaxed and losing focus during lessons, and one commenter speculated it’s because schools are worried about students showing up with wild or distracting patterns to their tights, largely circumventing the practice of having uniforms in the first place, and don’t want to be bothered having to administer rules for what styles are and aren’t allowed.

@otonakodomo_ doesn’t know what her school’s rationale is, but she did voice her complaint to the administrators, saying it’s unfair for tights to be banned. The school’s response?
“We understand your opinion, but you’ll be graduating soon [the Japanese school year ends in the spring], so bear with it a little longer.” Passive Aggressive Thy Name is "Japan."
Read by the People Who Don't Care Who Runs the Country Provided She's Got Big Tits and Tentacles . . . in the Rain
--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:37 am

Even a powerful grudge-bearing spirit needs to keep with the times, though, and in the franchise’s newest film installation, Sadako has apparently found a new medium through which to claim more victims — YouTube!

Wokketu NUUZU!
--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:53 am

嫌だ! Nope. Nope. Nope.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:08 pm

でも、怖いい!

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:37 am

Yakuza Deer

--J.D.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:28 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:10 am

Momo Is Not Trying to Kill Children

Momo not hurt children. Momo love children.

Give Momo hug.

see also
WTF?

This image was on the front page of my little hometown newspaper when I was visiting my parents last week.

Amazing how mass hysteria can spread like wildfire around the world with this here interweb doohicky.

Ok, I'm back in MA. Need to drop the rural hick talk and go back to blending in with the locals.
Such potential!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:31 am

Ghosn finally granted bail:

Carlos Ghosn: Ex-Nissan boss granted bail by Tokyo court
The former boss of Nissan, Carlos Ghosn, has been granted bail by a Tokyo court in a surprise decision.

The court set bail at one billion yen (£6.8m; $8.9m) and Japanese media reports said he could be released as early as Wednesday.

Mr Ghosn has been charged with financial misconduct but has consistently denied any wrongdoing.

The court had rejected two previous requests for bail, saying Mr Ghosn was a flight risk and could hide evidence.

On Tuesday Mr Ghosn reiterated his position, saying: "I am extremely grateful for my family and friends who have stood by me throughout this terrible ordeal.

"I am innocent and totally committed to vigorously defending myself in a fair trial against these meritless and unsubstantiated accusations."

The latest request was filed by a new legal team, which was appointed by the Brazilian-born executive last month.

"The Razor"

On Monday, the head of his defence, Junichiro Hironaka, said he was optimistic Mr Ghosn would be granted bail. Nicknamed "the Razor", the Japanese lawyer has a reputation for winning tough cases.

Prosecutors appealed against the decision but this was later rejected by the court.

The 64-year-old has been in custody for more than 100 days since his arrest last November on allegations he understated his income at Nissan. He has also been charged with aggravated breach of trust.

Bail is rarely granted in Japan without a confession and the length of Mr Ghosn's detention had drawn some criticism.

Ghosn's France-based lawyers on Monday said that they had complained to the United Nations that their client's rights had been violated during his detention in Japan.

Bail conditions require Mr Ghosn to stay in Japan and be placed under video surveillance.
Well, he managed to endure over 100 days in Japanese prison without confessing. That's a rarity.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:44 am

His failure to "take responsibility" will be noted when he is sentenced, Anax.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:53 am

Another article from the BBC, from last month, about Japan's justice system:

Carlos Ghosn and Japan's 'hostage justice' system
Carlos Ghosn, Nissan's former chairman, has now spent three months in jail and faces many more.

Japan's former chief prosecutor was, until he unexpectedly resigned on Wednesday, his lawyer, and has declared Mr Ghosn to be a victim of "hostage justice".

It is a term few outside Japan will have heard of until now, but what does it mean?

Living in Japan it's easy to become complacent about crime - there is so little of it. Japan's incredibly low crime rate is often attributed to a homogeneous culture, small income gap and full employment, but it's also true to say that many people are just terrified of being arrested.

I got my first inkling of why in 2014 when an artist I knew, Megumi Igarashi, was arrested for distributing "obscene material". Igarashi had made a digital scan of her own genitals, and used that model to make items such as key fobs and a large yellow kayak.

Most people thought it hilarious and she was dubbed the "vagina artist". But Tokyo prosecutors were not amused. They held her incommunicado for three weeks.
(I remember that.)
"Why on Earth would they hold her for three weeks over something so silly?" I asked a friend.

"Because they can," she responded.

"Because they can." I guess it has to happen to someone "important" (and foreign) like Ghosn before the rest of the world starts to notice.
In Britain, only terror suspects can be held without charge for 14 days - and that is controversial. In Japan a shoplifter can be held for 23 days.
The pressure to confess

"The Japanese criminal justice system is focused on interrogation. The aim is getting a confession," explains Nobuo Gohara, who spent 23 years in the prosecutor's office before resigning. He now works in private practice and campaigns for reform of Japan's justice system.

"A suspect who admits to the crime is released from imprisonment," Mr Gohara tells me. "But if a person refuses to admit to a crime, the prosecutor's office will strongly oppose release until the suspect makes a confession."

That is what happened to Tomohiro Ishikawa. In 2010, the then sitting MP was arrested and accused of taking bribes. For three weeks he was held in a tiny unheated cell. Each day he was interrogated for 12 hours without a lawyer present. He eventually admitted to a lesser offence and nearly 10 years later he is still bitter.

"Japanese prosecutors are very persistent," he told me. "They write the plot out before they make the arrest."

"Then they force you to confess according to their storyline. In my interrogation they didn't write down what I had said. [Instead] they would show me what they had prepared beforehand then demand I sign it. Many times, I told them I would not sign, because it [the statement] was not what I had said."

"Sometimes they shouted at me," he said. "At one point the deputy chief prosecutor started crying, asking me why was I lying."

This pressure to confess is even more worrying given that 89% of criminal convictions in Japan are based partly or wholly on confessions.

There are numerous examples of people spending years in prison for crimes they didn't commit or where serious doubts have emerged because of apparently "unsafe" confessions.
There's a lot more in the article, but I think you get the drift.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:01 am

Of course, it's possible, perhaps likely that both things are true:

1) Japan's justice system isn't fair to defendents
and
2) Ghosn is a greedy bastard who engaged in some creative white-collar crime.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:39 am

The Kempeitai has its methods…

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:49 am

From my reading of history, that has been the general Japanese attitude to crime: you were accused because you are guilty. The defendant should submit to the greater feeling of safety and, as you note, those who submit are "rewarded." Granted, if you are not actually guilty, that does not seem like much of a "reward" but when it is legal to do what your article describes: hold without charge, interrogate and even torture by definitions even the US military would concede without council, people are going to "cut their loses."

Since it "happens to other people" who, "since they confessed must have been guilty," the Japanese people tolerate it.

--J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:03 am

Something for Anax:

Samurai helmet, gilded wood, Edo period. Stibbert Museum, Florence.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:20 am

Mt. Fuji from the ISS.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:40 am

About that Samurai helmet.

So much cooler than Kaiser Bill's.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:23 pm

--J.D.