Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: Japan

Post by Witness » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:14 am

Japanese paper toys:

Fid

Post by Fid » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:49 am

Not to put too fine a point this... But daammm.
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:27 am

The man who saved Kyoto from the atomic bomb

Just weeks before the US dropped the most powerful weapon mankind has ever known, Nagasaki was not even on a list of target cities for the atomic bomb.

In its place was Japan's ancient capital, Kyoto.

The list was created by a committee of American military generals, army officers and scientists. Kyoto, which is home to more than 2,000 Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines, including 17 World Heritage Sites, was at the top of it.

"This target is an urban industrial area with a population of 1,000,000," the minutes from the meeting note.

They also described the people of Kyoto as "more apt to appreciate the significance of such a weapon as the gadget".

"Kyoto was seen as an ideal target by the military because it had not been bombed at all, so many of the industries were relocated and some major factories were there," says Alex Wellerstein, who is a historian of science at the Stevens Institute of Technology.

"The scientists on the Target Committee also preferred Kyoto because it was home to many universities and they thought the people there would be able to understand that an atomic bomb was not just another weapon - that it was almost a turning point in human history," he adds.

But in early June 1945, Secretary of War Henry Stimson ordered Kyoto to be removed from the target list. He argued that it was of cultural importance and that it was not a military target.

"The military didn't want it removed so it kept putting Kyoto back on the list until late July but Stimson went directly to President Truman," says Prof Wellerstein.

After holding a discussion with the President, Mr Stimson wrote in his diary on 24 July 1945 that "he was particularly emphatic in agreeing with my suggestion that if elimination was not done, the bitterness which would be caused by such a wanton act might make it impossible during the long post-war period to reconcile the Japanese to us in that area rather than to the Russians".
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33755182

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:45 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50342714

Japan 'glasses ban' for women at work sparks backlash
Wearing glasses at work has become an emotive topic in Japan following reports that some firms have told female employees to remove them.

Several local news outlets said some companies had "banned" eyewear for female employees for various reasons.

Among them, some retail chains reportedly said glasses-wearing shop assistants gave a "cold impression".

That has sparked heated discussion on Japanese social media over dress practices and women in the workplace.

The Nippon TV network and Business Insider were among the outlets to report on the issue, which looked at how firms in different industries prohibit women from wearing glasses.

They included safety reasons for airline workers, or being unable to see make-up properly for women working in the beauty sector.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:42 am

↑ Related:
Japan school boards start to rethink 'black rules' on everything from underwear to protesting

More and more municipalities in Japan are scrambling to amend or abolish what are widely criticized as draconian school rules long imposed on students, heralding a rethink of a long-standing teaching culture that has prized conformity and docility.

In the latest example, the board of education in Gifu Prefecture has run a sweeping review of rules upheld by high schools under its jurisdiction. Such rules, known as kōsoku, typically refer to internal codes of conduct that each junior high and high school imposes on pupils under their care, often dictating a strict dress code that extends to the length and color of their hair.

The investigation by the Gifu Prefectural Board of Education found that more than 90 percent of its 61 full-time high schools had maintained rules so stringent that they risked compromising the human rights of the students.

Examples included those that stipulated girls’ underclothes must be white, that students must notify schools in advance of their personal plans for long-distance travel, and that students must seek teachers’ permission to join any assembly outside of school hours, education board official Masayuki Ishigami said. “Assembly” is generally interpreted to include political rallies, although few explicitly state so, Ishigami added.

Although the board has already instructed schools to remove those rules, the changes will officially take effect at the beginning of the new school year in April, Ishigami said.

“At the very least, we felt it necessary to revise those school rules that affect students’ human rights,” Ishigami said. “For example, the mere act of teachers trying to check the color of underclothes worn by girls would raise human rights questions,” he said.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... cU4QbexgwA

But the patriarchy crumbles:
Domestic abuse soars in Japan, and it’s men reporting women for the violence

The number of male complaints of domestic violence increase eight-fold in four years, but a recent survey suggests figures may be far higher

After decades of being perceived by many Japanese men as second-class citizens who are good for little more than cooking, cleaning and bearing children, women here are fighting back. And they are not pulling any punches.

On May 31, police in Saitama Prefecture, north of Tokyo, arrested 44-year-old Mika Masaoka on suspicion of murdering her husband, Kenichi. Masaoka told police that she lost her temper during an argument and stabbed him in the neck and chest with a kitchen knife.

In March, 43-year-old woman was arrested in the Tokyo suburb of Machida and charged with drugging her boyfriend and then stabbing him at least 10 times. Chinatsu Sato told police she was unhappy in her relationship with Tomio Arashi and had been planning to kill him for about a week.

That same month, a 65-year-old woman from Osaka Prefecture was charged with murder after she smothered her husband early one morning. Yoshiko Imaguchi said she killed her husband, Mitsuaki, 74, because she was stressed by his incessant complaining.

As regular and violent as the above cases are, they represent only a fraction of a much wider, but perhaps less visible trend. Reports of women getting violent or abusing men have skyrocketed in Japan in recent years, with experts suggesting economic decline and a “calm and gentle” male culture shift may be driving the animosity.

In 2014, 181 domestic violence complaints were filed by men in Japan, according to the National Police Agency. Last year, that figure soared to 1,571 complaints.
https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asi ... n-violence

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:45 am

Oh CNN, you so corny.

Japan's Emperor has a dinner date with a sun goddess
(CNN)Japan's new Emperor Naruhito will take part in a ritual feast with a sun goddess on Thursday night as part of a centuries-old ceremony to celebrate his ascension to the throne.
Preparations for the ritual began months ago, when the shell of a tortoise was baked until it fractured. The cracks in the shell were then subject to an act of divination to determine where the rice to be used in the Daijosai should be grown, according to Japanologist John Breen, who has written about the ceremony. In this case, the rice was planted in fields in Kyoto and Tochigi prefectures.
The ceremony will see Naruhito offering the newly-harvested rice to the sun goddess in two purpose-built wooden halls within the Imperial Palace grounds. The halls -- which cost millions of dollars to construct -- will be burned down after the ceremony, Breen said.
"The Daijosai transforms the Emperor from just an ordinary human to a sovereign whose authority extends over both this realm and the other realm," Breen said. "The Daijosai happens just once in a reign -- it's a major event. Because it involves the Emperor with the sun goddess in the most intimate fashion, it transforms him."
Around 700 people -- including Prime Minister Shinzo Abe -- have been invited to attend the ceremony, although they will not go inside the halls with the Emperor.
What happens during the ceremony?
The Emperor will spend around six hours with the sun goddess in two different halls. There are different theories about what happens during the ceremony, which is only attended by the Emperor, two "maidens," and the sun goddess, Breen said.
In the 1920s, the belief accepted by the state was that the Emperor had conjugal relations with the sun goddess, according to Breen. Both halls are furnished with a bed covered with a silk sheet -- and the theory was that the Emperor lay on the bed, covered himself with a sheet, and waited for the sun goddess to come down from heaven and enter his body.
But that idea has fallen out of favor.
Oh really? They no longer believe that the Emperor has conjugal relations with a sun goddess? Do tell. :roll:
Or maybe he has conjugal relations with the maidens? :twisted:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:52 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:45 am
Oh really? They no longer believe that the Emperor has conjugal relations with a sun goddess? Do tell. :roll:
Or maybe he has conjugal relations with the maidens? :twisted:

I know where I'm putting my money.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:21 pm

"All his kind are black on the right side!!!"
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:56 pm

Trump asks Japan to hike payments for U.S. troops to $8 billion: Foreign Policy

TOKYO (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump has asked Japan to quadruple annual payments for U.S. forces stationed there to around $8 billion, Foreign Policy reported, part of Washington’s efforts to press its allies to increase their defense spending.

The current agreement that covers the 54,000 U.S. troops stationed in Japan expires in March 2021.

The demand was made to Japanese officials during a trip to the region in July by John Bolton, at that time Trump’s national security adviser, and Matt Pottinger, who was then the Asia director for the National Security Council, the U.S. global affairs magazine said, citing unidentified former U.S. officials.

A Japanese foreign ministry spokesman said the report was incorrect and no U.S.-Japan negotiations on a new agreement have taken place.

According to Kyodo news agency, Japanese officials told Bolton the increase is “unrealistic”, saying Japan already pays a greater share of stationing costs than other allies.

A U.S. State Department spokesman said in an emailed statement: “The President has made clear that allies and partners should contribute more to their shared defense.”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japa ... SKBN1XQ06F

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:58 am

How about bring the troops home?

Start with Okinawa right now, and maybe in 75 years we'll be out of Afghanistan.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:31 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:58 am

Start with Okinawa right now, and maybe in 75 years we'll be out of Afghanistan.
That's probably not what the generals and the admirals want. But sure, I don't care. I'm not sure it would save a lot of money.

I mean, I suppose we could save a lot if we really, truly wanted to cut back on it, and stop behaving like a "superpower" throwing our weight around. But others would likely fill those vacuums after we leave.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:27 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:31 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote:

That's probably not what the generals and the admirals want. But sure, I don't care. I'm not sure it would save a lot of money.

I mean, I suppose we could save a lot if we really, truly wanted to cut back on it, and stop behaving like a "superpower" throwing our weight around. But others would likely fill those vacuums after we leave.

I have mixed feelings. I think Japan is probably better off with the U.S. military here, and I suspect that's what the majority of Japanese people living outside of Okinawa want as well. For starters, I don't think they want to go down the road of having to be responsible for defending themselves to a degree an absence of U.S. support would require and all the political trouble that level of increased rearmament would cause both at home and abroad. Then again, I doubt they'd agree to a quadrupling of payments -- and as a taxpayer here, I don't blame them.

My guess is it's probably part of an opening offer strategy to get them ready to pay more.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:19 am

shuize wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:27 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:31 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote:

I have mixed feelings. I think Japan is probably better off with the U.S. military here, and I suspect that's what the majority of Japanese people living outside of Okinawa want as well. For starters, I don't think they want to go down the road of having to be responsible for defending themselves to a degree an absence of U.S. support would require and all the political trouble that level of increased rearmament would cause both at home and abroad. Then again, I doubt they'd agree to a quadrupling of payments -- and as a taxpayer here, I don't blame them.

My guess is it's probably part of an opening offer strategy to get them ready to pay more.
Probably it's worth it to Japan (strictly from a value for the yen perspective) even at twice the price. I don't know about 4 times the price.

The question you would have to ask is: how much more would Japan have to spend on its own military (or "self defense force") to feel as safe, and get the same deterrence effect as having the Americans here? Probably a lot more than what they pay. There's a certain deterrence value to it as well, since anyone thinking about attacking Japan (or Korea) would have to consider that they are also attacking America when they do that. And if we're going to maintain the treaty where we promise to defend Japan and South Korea if they are attacked, it makes sense to have troops here already. It makes it less likely that an adversary would miscalculate, and think that we wouldn't get involved. That's arguably how the Korean War started in the first place: North Korea thought that the US would stay out of it. They miscalculated.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:13 am

And Korea, China, and much of Asia really want to see Japan rearm. . . .

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Hey! Japan has the know-how to build nukes. :)

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:02 pm
Hey! Japan has the know-how to build nukes. :)
I'd be fucking amazed if Japan doesn't already have dozens, hundreds perhaps, ready for assembly if not already assembled. Their technological acuity is certainly as good as ours so actual testing really isn't necessary. I think this has been true for more years than Isreal's somewhat less covert possession. As to our presence, why the fuck would they kick us out unless our economic interests differed? Abe strikes me as an ultra-conservative in terms of the military, but there's no sense in passing up a superior foreign military presence on their side for even an equal one if the better comes at far less cost.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:08 pm

We'd save nothing if we brought the boys home.

We are going to demob them? Really?

:doglaugh:

We'd bring 25000 men and women home and then put them up in the USofA.

Savings is bullshit. Removing temptation to shoot at people is real though. Then agin, how long would it take to move a battalion from Ft. Benning to Okinawa if we had to?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:13 am

Vandalism on rise at Japanese shrines as pro-Hong Kong protest prayer boards are defaced

Ema supporting ongoing Hong Kong protests have been crossed out, snapped into pieces, and written over in Chinese.

In the courtyard of Japanese Shinto shrines, and many of the country’s Buddhist temples too, you’ll find racks of ema. Small wooden boards decorated with auspicious illustrations, visitors purchase ema from the shrine/temple attendants and write a wish on it, and once it’s hung on the rack, the gods are supposed to take care of the rest and grant your desire.

It’s a fun tradition that goes back centuries, but in recent months some of Japan’s most prominent places of worship have seen their ema display areas becoming proxy battlefields for a dispute taking place thousands of kilometers away. Kyoto’s Kiyomizu Temple, one of the city’s most famous landmarks and sightseeing destinations, has been finding ema that have been vandalized if their written wishes show support for the ongoing Hong Kong political protests.

https://soranews24.com/2019/11/22/vanda ... e-defaced/

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:19 pm

:)