Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras »

Kept seeing these Youtube ads come up for 「煙のない社会」 (a smoke-free society).

I thought maybe it was being sponsored by an anti-smoking group. Turns out when I Googled it to see who is behind these ads, it's Phillip Morris. WTF?

They want to ban the old fashioned cigarettes and only allow e-cigarettes. Which, of course, they make.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:08 am Kept seeing these Youtube ads come up for 「煙のない社会」 (a smoke-free society).

I thought maybe it was being sponsored by an anti-smoking group. Turns out when I Googled it to see who is behind these ads, it's Phillip Morris. WTF?

They want to ban the old fashioned cigarettes and only allow e-cigarettes. Which, of course, they make.

They're apparently not the only ones.

Altria teams up with Japan Tobacco* to sell smoke-free products

Altria,** the cigarette maker behind the Marlboro brand in the US, has launched a joint venture with Japan Tobacco in its latest push into the burgeoning market for smoke-free alternatives.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/13c5bd72-28 ... japan.html

* As a side note, I checked Japan Tobacco's dividend history. I'm having a hard time pinning down the numbers (it varies from site to site), but they seem to be paying a dividend somewhere north of 6% -- amazingly high for a Japanese company.

** Altria is currently paying around 8%.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Century-old producer of Sakuma candies to close down
The Japanese maker of the vibrant, fruit-flavored hard candies famously depicted in the celebrated anti-war anime “Grave of the Fireflies” is putting an end to its 114 years of history.

Sakumaseika Co., a confectioner based in Tokyo’s Toshima Ward, said Nov. 9 it will close its doors on Jan. 20 after it makes its last shipment of hard candies, called Sakuma-style Drops, in December.

The company said sales of the product have been pushed further down by the novel coronavirus pandemic. It was already struggling to survive and woo customers amid intensifying competition with rivals offering cheaper products.

A steep rise in material and energy prices, as well as the difficulty of securing labor to produce the candies, has weighed down its operations, leading to the decision to discontinue its business, according to the company.

Sakuma candies date back to 1908, when Sojiro Sakuma, a native of Chiba Prefecture, succeeded in producing a domestic version of hard candies based on those imported from Britain.
Sad. I will get some for the nostalgia before they close down. If you haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, you should. These candies were featured in the movie.

Recently I came across a video on YouTube called "The Other Grave of the Fireflies" about a real story that happened in Okinawa.

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:43 am Century-old producer of Sakuma candies to close down
The Japanese maker of the vibrant, fruit-flavored hard candies famously depicted in the celebrated anti-war anime “Grave of the Fireflies” is putting an end to its 114 years of history.

Sakumaseika Co., a confectioner based in Tokyo’s Toshima Ward, said Nov. 9 it will close its doors on Jan. 20 after it makes its last shipment of hard candies, called Sakuma-style Drops, in December.

The company said sales of the product have been pushed further down by the novel coronavirus pandemic. It was already struggling to survive and woo customers amid intensifying competition with rivals offering cheaper products.

A steep rise in material and energy prices, as well as the difficulty of securing labor to produce the candies, has weighed down its operations, leading to the decision to discontinue its business, according to the company.

Sakuma candies date back to 1908, when Sojiro Sakuma, a native of Chiba Prefecture, succeeded in producing a domestic version of hard candies based on those imported from Britain.
Sad. I will get some for the nostalgia before they close down. If you haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, you should. These candies were featured in the movie.

Recently I came across a video on YouTube called "The Other Grave of the Fireflies" about a real story that happened in Okinawa.

Thanks. Just bought Tomiko's book.
shuize

Post by shuize »

In today's "You don't fucking say" news:

97歳運転の車に女性はねられ死亡 数十メートル歩道走行か 福島
Loose translation: "97-year-old driver strikes and kills woman in crosswalk."

I'm sure stubborn old drivers who should have given up their keys long ago are a problem all over the world. But it feels like an even bigger problem here in Japan. The defense will likely be "the car malfunctioned."

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202211 ... 31000.html
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

– J. "Time to Stop being Poor, Bitch" D.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Doctor X wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:08 am
– J. "Time to Stop being Poor, Bitch" D.

At first, I didn't notice the highlighted and almost double posted it. (Ha! Ha!)

The Japanese people trying to do time conversion in their heads is like me whenever I have to try to convert Celsius or big numbers in Japanese.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I laughed at a lot of parts, but that one was epic.

– J.D.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Hotarubi wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:33 am
Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:43 am Century-old producer of Sakuma candies to close down

Thanks. Just bought Tomiko's book.
Fuck.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Jeezus H Titty Fucking Christ.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

https://i.imgur.com/9db0i6M.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9yk9luC.jpg
– J.D.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Twit: https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1602755629042786304
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
robinson
Title: Je suis devenu Français

Post by robinson »

Pyrrho wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:40 pm
Twit: https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1602755629042786304
Hahaha

It was those actual streets that inspired Blade Runner set designs.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Twit: https://twitter.com/presentationzen/status/1607716573426618368
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I like this guy.

– J.D.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Interesting article:
Japan was the future but it's stuck in the past

In Japan, houses are like cars.

As soon as you move in, your new home is worth less than what you paid for it and after you've finished paying off your mortgage in 40 years, it is worth almost nothing.

It bewildered me when I first moved here as a correspondent for the BBC - 10 years on, as I prepared to leave, it was still the same.

This is the world's third-largest economy. It's a peaceful, prosperous country with the longest life expectancy in the world, the lowest murder rate, little political conflict, a powerful passport, and the sublime Shinkansen, the world's best high-speed rail network.

America and Europe once feared the Japanese economic juggernaut much the same way they fear China's growing economic might today. But the Japan the world expected never arrived. In the late 1980s, Japanese people were richer than Americans. Now they earn less than Britons.

For decades Japan has been struggling with a sluggish economy, held back by a deep resistance to change and a stubborn attachment to the past. Now, its population is both ageing and shrinking.

Japan is stuck.

. . . .

Then in 1991 the bubble burst. The Tokyo stock market collapsed. Property prices fell off a cliff. They are yet to recover.

A friend was recently negotiating to buy several hectares of forest. The owner wanted $20 per square metre. "I told him forest land is only worth $2 a square metre," my friend said. "But he insisted he needed $20 a square metre, because that's what he'd paid for it in the 1970s."

. . . .

When Covid struck, Japan closed its borders. Even permanent foreign residents were excluded from returning. I called up the foreign ministry to ask why foreigners who'd spent decades in Japan, had homes and businesses here, were being treated like tourists. The response was blunt: "they are all foreigners."

A hundred and fifty years after it was forced to open its doors, Japan is still sceptical, even fearful of the outside world.

. . . .

But Japan is not as ethnically pure as those admirers might think. There are the Ainu of Hokkaido, Okinawans in the south, half a million ethnic Koreans, and close to a million Chinese. Then there are Japanese children with one foreign parent, which include my own three.

These bi-cultural kids are known as "hafu" or halves - a pejorative term that's normal here. They include celebrities and sports icons, such as tennis star Naomi Osaka. Popular culture idolises them as "more beautiful and talented". But it's one thing to be idolised and quite another to be accepted.

If you want to see what happens to a country that rejects immigration as a solution to falling fertility, Japan is a good place to start.

Real wages haven't grown here in 30 years. Incomes in South Korea and Taiwan have caught up and even overtaken Japan.

But change feels distant. In part it's because of a rigid hierarchy that determines who holds the levers of power.

The old are still in power

"Look there's something you need to understand about how Japan works," an eminent academic told me. "In 1868 the Samurai surrendered their swords, cut their hair, put on Western suits and marched into the ministries in Kasumigaseki (the government district of central Tokyo) and they're still there today."

. . . .

But the Meiji restoration, as it's known, was no storming of the Bastille. It was an elite putsch. Even after a second convulsion of 1945, the "great" families survived. This overwhelmingly male ruling class is defined by nationalism and a conviction that Japan is special. They do not believe Japan was the aggressor in the war, but its victim.

Slain former prime minister Shinzo Abe, for instance, was the son of a foreign minister, and grandson of another prime minister, Nobusuke Kishi. Grandpa Kishi was a member of the wartime junta and was arrested by the Americans as a suspected war criminal. But he escaped the hangman and in the mid-1950s helped found the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), which has ruled Japan ever since.

Some people joke Japan is a one-party state. It isn't. But it's reasonable to ask why Japan continues to re-elect a party run by an entitled elite, which yearns to scrap American-imposed pacifism, but has failed to improve living standards for 30 years.

During a recent election I drove up a narrow river valley cut into the mountains two hours west of Tokyo - LDP country. The local economy depends on cement making and hydropower. In a tiny town I met an elderly couple walking to the polling station.

"We'll be voting LDP," the husband said. "We trust them, they will take care of us."

"I agree with my husband," his wife said.

The couple pointed across the valley to a recently-completed tunnel and bridge they hope will bring more weekend tourists from Tokyo. But it's often said the LDP's support base is made of concrete. This form of pork-barrel politics is one reason so much of Japan's coastline is blighted by tetra pods, its rivers walled with grey concrete. It's essential to keep the concrete pumping.

Bugger'd by Colonists
– J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Saw a young lady on the train this morning.

She was wearing a sweatshirt that said:
Don’t
Think
Feel.
Is this an invitation I wondered :notsure:
But I thought better of it.
Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Post by Ben Trovado »

Anaxagoras wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:06 pm Saw a young lady on the train this morning.

She was wearing a sweatshirt that said:
Don’t
Think
Feel.
Is this an invitation I wondered :notsure:
But I thought better of it.
You win the internet for the day, you magnificent bastard,
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

I would be rude to refuse her.

– J.D.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I've rode on this train before. The Enoden.