Stupid Law Suits

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Stupid Law Suits

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:06 am

He is still the official McDonald's mascot, but I don't think they feature him so much in their advertising anymore.

Clowns have a bit of an image problem these days.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:01 am

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:06 pm

The suit alleges that Apple lied about the screen sizes by counting non-screen areas like the notch and corners. So the new line of iPhones aren't "all screen" as marketed, according to the 55-page complaint. For example, iPhone X's screen size is supposed to be 5.8 inches, but the plaintiffs measured that it's "only about 5.6875 inches."
https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-lied-ab ... t-alleges/

They also complain that the pixels are "fake" pixels because they don't use your granddad's RGB. No OLED screen uses RGB, they use pentile instead. RB-GB is the new 'pixel'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenTile_matrix_family

Here's the actual complaint. It's a hoot. It is without merit since there's a footnote in the advertisements which addresses this minutiae difference.

It is without merit since there's a footnote in the advertisements which addresses this minutiae difference.
The display has rounded corners that follow a beautiful curved design, and these corners are within a standard rectangle. When measured as a standard rectangular shape, the screen is 5.85 inches (iPhone XS), 6.46 inches (iPhone XS Max), 6.06 inches (iPhone XR), or 5.85 inches (iPhone X) diagonally. Actual viewable area is less.
https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/
I think the real reason for the lawsuit can be found on page 10. The exhibit shows the plaintiff's iphone.
:)

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:48 am

Man suing his parents for giving birth to him without consent
An Indian man from Mumbai is suing his parents for giving birth to him "without his consent".

Raphael Samuel, 27, believes it is wrong to put an unwilling person through the "rigmarole" of life for the parents' benefit and has compared giving birth to "kidnapping and slavery".

Both of his parents are lawyers.
His mother Kavita Karnad Samuel, who is a lawyer, said yesterday that she admired his boldness.

"I must admire my son's temerity to want to take his parents to court knowing both of us are lawyers," she wrote.

"If Raphael could come up with a rational explanation as to how we could have sought his consent to be born, I will accept my fault.

"I'm very happy that my son has grown up into a fearless, independent thinking young man. He is sure to find his path to happiness."
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:42 pm

Okay, this one isn't actually stupid.
A New Jersey couple is calling out Taco Bell for what they say is consumer fraud. Nelson and Joann Estrella were each craving a Chalupa Cravings box—advertised as a Chalupa Supreme, 5-Layer burrito, crunchy taco, cinnamon twists, and a medium drink, all for $5—when they visited their local Taco Bell in Middlesex in May 2018, reports NJ.com. But their bill came to $12.18 before taxes, a price that management explained by referencing a fine print disclaimer. The disclaimer stating "prices may vary" did indeed appear in the TV ad, but in white text, one-sixteenth of the size of the font used to advertise the price, and "obscured" on a grey background, according to a lawsuit filed by the couple. They claim losses "in the form of time wasted driving … the gasoline expended … and in the amount of $2.18."
https://www.newser.com/story/281888/tac ... -sued.html

I'd particularly like to see cable companies likewise sued for the same thing. Or any business that puts fine print on a tV ad that can't be read with the naked eye in the time shown.

solely

Post by solely » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:26 pm

They got a lawyer, is he going for a class action.