Other music

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Witness

Re: Other music

Post by Witness » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:34 am

I never tire of Vivaldi:

(when played con fuoco!)

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:26 am

↑ The same dudes playing Irish music:

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:43 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:01 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:19 am

This one I found via 高い城の男.

Something "old school" for karaoke night
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:36 am

これは「男が高い城の中には」か「男は高い城の中で/だは」がありますよか?

雨に

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:00 am

Wut?

It's The Man in the High Castle. You know: :freedom:
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 am

OK, I think I know what you're asking.

In Japan, it is translated as 高い城の男, but in English that would be The Man of the high Castle. If you wanted to be precise instead of pithy, it would be 高い城の中にいる男. "The man in the inside of the High Castle" or "The man in the middle of the High Castle".

This is what gets lost in translation. There is no precise translation. But the former works better. The latter is too literal.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 am
もちろん 外道!
In Japan, it is translated as 高い城の男, but in English that would be The Man of the high Castle. If you wanted to be precise instead of pithy, it would be 高い城の中にいる男. "The man in the inside of the High Castle" or "The man in the middle of the High Castle".
Having not watched the series yet, what matters is whether or not the "man" is in as in located in/a prisoner in/et cetera which the genitive の fails to convey. The Man of the High Castle could be anywhere and suggest that he owns and controls it. Perhaps he does, but that is not necessarily so in the English.
This is what gets lost in translation. There is no precise translation. But the former works better.
Unless the man does not actually own and control the "High Castle."

:freedom:

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:33 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:20 am
もちろん 外道!
Having not watched the series yet, what matters is whether or not the "man" is in as in located in/a prisoner in/et cetera which the genitive の fails to convey. The Man of the High Castle could be anywhere and suggest that he owns and controls it. Perhaps he does, but that is not necessarily so in the English.
This is what gets lost in translation. There is no precise translation. But the former works better.
Unless the man does not actually own and control the "High Castle."

--J.D.

P.S. 淫乱ピンク!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:49 am

He might not own it or control it, he might just be from there.

But anyway, I didn't translate it. Someone working for Amazon did.

There's a kind of language paradox that the more common a word is, the harder it is to write a dictionary definition for that word that covers all possible usage.

For example, in "The Man in the High Castle." The word "The" in the title just doesn't translate to Japanese.
"その" would be "that" not "the". So instead you just get "Man of High Castle" in Japanese.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:01 am

I have fun describing the utility of the definite article to 日本人. What is interesting is that it and the indefinite article, are ancient concepts--you find the definite in Biblical Hebrew and other ancient variations of Semitic languages. To my recollection, it developed in both Biblical Hebrew and in Classical Greek. In other words, it filled a need. Neither have a true indefinite article, but you can sort of imply it by the absence of the definite article, which in Greek declines with the respective noun. Even then, translating it literally as "the" in all cases would prove as stilted as "Honorable wife, do you want an honorable beer before I [CENSORED--Ed.] you with this honorable [CENSORED--Ed.] in your honorable road to a Christening?"

However, as you know, it is an important part of English, Romance, Celtic, and maybe even Gram's Mom's Language, when she can speak because her mouth is [Get on with it!--Ed.] that the Japanese simply do not "get."

I then ask 外人 to explain the difference between "thuh" and "thee" pronunciations. They are different. We sort of know it. Try explaining the difference between "thee end" and "thuh end," or "thuh beer" or "thee beer."

In the lewd pink rain.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:17 am

I guess the closest analog in Japanese would be この、その、あの. Which could be "this" "that" and "the other one".

Of the three, あの seems to come closest to "the" for some uses. E.g. あの人. "that one" or " that person" (we both know who is being referred to, the "ano" implies it).

But, in Japanese "ano" is rarely used, unlike English, which is littered with "the". Likewise, "I" and "you" are not used nearly as often in Japanese as they are in English.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:32 am

I believe the definite article in Hebrew developed from a demonstrative pronoun which is what この、その、あの essentially are. You can actually see how its use increased over time through comparison of texts. Anyways, English cannot exist without the definite article, and it is also heavily pronoun based in that constantly referring to someone or thing by name appears overly formal to Victorian Constipated. Japanese obviously demands the use of names rather than pronouns as you know which makes teaching the language a problem for English speakers. Similarly, as you say, there is no real "give me that" or "what is that?" with the use of a demonstrative pronoun.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:44 am

Well, for "give me that" you could say 頂戴 "chuodai"

Except it's a little more like saying "gimme". You wouldn't just say that to your boss, or someone who you aren't on a first name basis with.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:53 am

Indeed. One of the things that makes "literal" as in "word-for-word" translation impossible for pretty much any language. Given the different structures of the languages, that alone creates a complete mess. I go back and forth between a strict translation that gives the flavor of the language as a native speaker hears it, and more literary that the reader will understand in his language.

Though I think you mean "chōdai."

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:05 pm

That's correct. I got my u and o reversed there.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:40 am

William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:26 am

Royer's Vertigo for harpischord played by Jean Rondeau:

"Video unavailable" here, so you'll have to click: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzxlMfUzqIM

Pancrace Royer also wrote an opera with Voltaire for the libretto.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:34 pm

William Shakespeare