The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: The UK thread

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Splinter groups from the Provos, most likely.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:57 pm

Related to Brexit, or just happened to crop up at a bad time (not that there's a good time)?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:15 pm

From what I've read, it's on-going feud with the company the poor guy's involved with.

Linky.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:43 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:57 pm
Related to Brexit, or just happened to crop up at a bad time (not that there's a good time)?
My impression is Brexit has re-awakened IRA & pals.

'The men who plundered Europe': bankers on trial for siphoning €60bn

Martin Shields and Nick Diable are accused of tax fraud in ‘cum-ex’ scandal that exposes City’s pursuit of profit

They have been called “the men who plundered Europe”: a group of cowboy traders, seasoned tax lawyers and mathematical whizz kids who are alleged to have conspired in the heart of the City of London to siphon at least €60bn in taxpayers’ money from the state coffers of several EU countries.

In Britain, the so-called “cum-ex” scandal, named after the complex derivatives juggling act employed, gained little attention amid the frenzied debate around the UK’s departure from the European Union when the fraud scheme was discovered in 2017.

But in continental Europe what Le Monde has described as the “robbery of the century” has done almost as much to shape the view of Britain as Brexit itself. Dutch media has called it “organised crime in pinstripe suits” and one of the original German whistleblowers saying he now welcomes Britain’s exit from the EU in the hope it could weaken the influence of London investment banking on European financial institutions.

This week, a British former investment banker involved in developing the scheme for the first time gave the public an insight into how the scheme worked and what spurred on its architects.

Speaking at a regional court in Bonn, Martin Shields, one of two former bankers on trial for 34 instances of serious tax fraud between 2006 and 2011, painted a picture of a London banking scene which lured in the brightest scientists from the country’s top universities and used them to boost their profit margins – without teaching them about the moral and legal consequences of their actions in return.
See https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... al-in-bonn for the details.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:03 pm

Witness wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:43 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Because they like the EU, or just opportunistically taking advantage of the chaos?

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:14 pm

The latter + seeing some opportunity + wanting to wage that obsolete war for good times' sake. But that's just my impression, as I said.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:00 am

So no IRA guilt by association with remainers? How disappointing.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:48 am

Witness wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:43 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
It certainly hasn't helped, Witness but it's not the only factor. The Northern Ireland Assembly at Stormont has been suspended since January 2017, when Sinn Fein leader Martin McGuiness resigned over the Renewable Heat Incentive scandal. Not good.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:21 pm

Irish PM given holy water for next meeting with Boris Johnson

A priest handed Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar a bottle of holy water to take to his next meeting with Boris Johnson.

"Taoiseach, I know that you are going to New York next week [for the U.N. General Assembly] and meeting Boris Johnson. A small little bit of added protection for you," Father Richard Gibbons, the parish priest of Knock in the west of Ireland, said Friday as he handed a small bottle to Varadkar.

"Shall I pour it over him?" said Varadkar.
https://www.politico.eu/article/irish-p ... s-johnson/

:mrgreen:

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:15 am

Well, that's Mrs. Camel's holiday of a lifetime in Vegas fucked, she was due to leave on Tuesday. Now I'll have to put up with her at home for a fortnight when I was planning to build a model railway. :(

Linky.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:25 am

↑ Sorry for that, AC. :|

I used Thomas Cook travel agency when I went to Poland, and they were outstanding.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:55 am

She's not too bothered, Witness; she was dreading the ten-hour flight and she'll get her money back. At least she's not stranded abroad and being held hostage by unpaid hoteliers. :)

Pity about the train set, though. Now I'll have to try and intercept the postman so she doesn't see how much stuff I've bought. :(

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:41 am

My first job out of high school was working for Thomas Cook (in NYC). :coolspecs:

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:16 pm

Bomb squad called to Manchester Airport to deal with naked man with a "suspicious package". Controlled explosion ensues. :shock:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:41 pm

Hmm.

Naked so definitely not Muslim.

Must be a Remoaner.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:42 am

Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule

Boris Johnson's decision to suspend Parliament for five weeks was unlawful, the Supreme Court has ruled.

Judges said it was wrong to stop MPs carrying out duties in the run-up to the Brexit deadline on 31 October.

The PM, who has faced calls to resign, said he "profoundly disagreed" with the ruling but would "respect" it.

The Labour conference finished early following the ruling and MPs are returning to Westminster ready for Parliament to reconvene on Wednesday.

A senior government official said the prime minister spoke to the Queen after the Supreme Court ruling, but would not reveal the details of the conversation.

It comes after the court ruled it was impossible to conclude there had been any reason "let alone a good reason - to advise Her Majesty to prorogue Parliament for five weeks".

Mr Johnson, who returns to London from New York on Wednesday, also chaired a 30-minute phone call with his cabinet.

A source told the BBC that the Leader of the Commons Jacob Rees-Mogg said to other cabinet ministers on the call that the action by the court had amounted to a "constitutional coup".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49810261

:BigGrin3:

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:54 am

The prorogation was unlawful, but no one can name the law that was broken, and there is no specific punishment nor penalty for having broken it.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:57 am

That doesn't sound like a common law. It does sound like a line out of Catch-22.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:06 am

ceptimus wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:54 am
The prorogation was unlawful, but no one can name the law that was broken, and there is no specific punishment nor penalty for having broken it.
Are they saying Her Maj committed a crime? :wink:

Here is the decision itself, if you care to read it. I took a quick glance, but I can't say I delved into the reasoning.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/ ... dgment.pdf

Here's a BBC summary if you prefer:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49810261
Delivering the justices' conclusions, she said: "The decision to advise Her Majesty to prorogue Parliament was unlawful because it had the effect of frustrating or preventing the ability of Parliament to carry out its constitutional functions without reasonable justification."

Lady Hale said the unanimous decision of the 11 justices meant Parliament had effectively not been prorogued - the decision was null and of no effect.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:10 am

I can understand Boris Johnson's desire to get Brexit over with but can't see how he's going to manage it. An unelected prime minister who has thrown away his tenuous working majority trying to steamroller his way through the commons and the lords? Unlikely to succeed. *SIGH*