The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
solely

Re: The UK thread

Post by solely » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 am

ceptimus wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:52 am
I've got a scar on my hand that my older sister gave me as a baby - she pushed the pointy end of a hot clothes iron into my palm. She also threw me down the stairs. I don't remember either incident as I was too young, but my sister and mother enjoyed telling me the tale when I was older - the way that families do. My sister was angry with me because my mother made her give away her marble collection, "because the baby might swallow them." Worse, she had to give them to her rival in marble collecting - my cousin Paul who lived next door.

I don't want you to not love your mother and sister but you may want to keep a sharp eye on them.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:29 pm

ceptimus wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:52 am
I've got a scar on my hand that my older sister gave me as a baby - she pushed the pointy end of a hot clothes iron into my palm. She also threw me down the stairs. I don't remember either incident as I was too young, but my sister and mother enjoyed telling me the tale when I was older - the way that families do. My sister was angry with me because my mother made her give away her marble collection, "because the baby might swallow them." Worse, she had to give them to her rival in marble collecting - my cousin Paul who lived next door.
Yikes!

My not-so-little brother got his revenge. Knowing that I'm an extreme claustrophobic, he and his school friends stuffed me in a sleeping bag and jumped on me repeatedly, making me scream in terror and cracking my sternum in the process.

Nearly fifty years later, it still hurts.

:)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:54 pm

Cuts, as it's a bit long:
Wave of scandal: The Tory party is becoming a sewer

As far as elections go, the Tories are not having the best of starts. They're launching their formal campaign today, while being buffeted by multiple scandals.
"The tragedy of the modern Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn is that they detest the profit motive so viscerally... they point their fingers at individuals with a relish and a vindictiveness not seen since Stalin persecuted the kulaks," Boris Johnson wrote for the launch of his campaign. He delivered it, in that incredibly weird semi-privatised way he has, to the Telegraph, his former employer.
Jacob Rees-Mogg claimed people with "common sense" would not have followed official instructions to stay in their home during the Grenfell fire. He looked at LBC presenter Nick Ferrari and noted: "I think if either of us were in a fire, whatever the fire brigade said, we would leave the burning building." In other words: People like us wouldn't be so stupid. Only the poor are that stupid.
The shadow Brexit secretary had a rough time on Good Morning Britain yesterday, trying to explain Labour's Brexit policy. The Conservatives then put out a video in which the final answer had been changed. In reality, he had been asked a question and answered it immediately. In the edited video, the answer had been replaced by a clip of Starmer sitting in baffled silence.
And even this doesn't cover what the party has been up to in the last 24 hours. There's also Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns, who is facing calls to resign after his aide collpased a trial by making claims of a rape victim's sexual history. There's chancellor Sajid Javid, raging away because the civil service is refusing to be co-opted into the Conservative party's election operation by publishing a cost analysis of Labour's spending plans. And there's the extraordinary sight of the prime minister stopping publication of an intelligence and security committee report on Russian interference in British democracy right before an election.
Yesterday, a series of departing MPs made their valedictory speeches in the Commons. One after another, moderate Tories rose to announce their retirement. Many had already gone - either purged in the no-deal battle, or drifting off to support the Liberal Democrats. The rest simply don't want a part of it anymore.

One of them, David Lidington, made a last minute appeal to those who would come after him. "I hope the next parliament will make a deliberate effort to avoid the language of traitors, of betrayal, of vermin, of enemies of the people," he asked.
This is just the start. The campaign will get worse from here.
https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/1 ... ng-a-sewer

:BigGrin3:

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:08 pm

And the tragedy is... Corbyn is still worse (whether assessed morally or practically)

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:37 am

Harry Dunn: 'Informal' talks begin over possible extradition of Anne Sacoolas

Suspect in teenager’s death has been in US since leaving UK under diplomatic immunity

British and American officials have begun talks to explore the possible extradition of the suspect in the death of Harry Dunn, the Guardian has learned.

The suspect, Anne Sacoolas, went to the US while under investigation after a car she was driving struck a motorcycle ridden by the 19-year-old outside RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire in August.

British police travelled to the US last week and interviewed Sacoolas.

The final part of the evidence detectives from Northamptonshire police were compiling was the transcripts of the interview with Sacoolas.

They have now submitted evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which is expected soon to make a decision about charging the suspect.

One charge under consideration is death by dangerous driving and Dunn’s family want Sacoolas to face justice.

The discussions about extradition so far have been informal, a source said, and exploratory.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... e-sacoolas

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:51 am

A comment:
Did the BBC deliberately use the wrong footage of Johnson?

PRIME MINISTER Boris Johnson made several minor gaffes during yesterday’s Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, such as stepping out of line too early, looking somewhat hungover and laying his poppy wreath upside down.

Instead of using yesterday’s footage as part of BBC Breakfast’s news bulletin, the show pulled from its archive a clip of Johnson from 2016 — in which the PM looked younger, slightly pudgier, better dressed and laying down a much bigger green floral wreath the right way up.
https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article ... ge-johnson

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:12 pm

OK Brits, tell me how accurate.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:26 pm

Seemed pretty accurate to me, except
  • he glossed over how dumb Jo Swinson (LibDem leader) is.
  • he claimed all the countries other than England are anti-Brexit - which is wrong because Wales also voted to leave.
  • he said UKIP only ever won one UK parliament seat where they actually won two (but they have none currently and are unlikely to ever win another).

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:22 am

Conservatives outraged by Brexit party members ‘coming over here and taking all our jobs.’

Senior Tory figures are “being economical with the truth” by denying they offered election candidates jobs in exchange for not standing, according to Brexit Party MEP Ben Habib.

This has outraged various low ranking members of the conservative party, along with MPs who were ousted this year, who have accused the Brexit part of ‘coming over here and taking away our jobs’.

One unnamed member stated:
“I’m a Tory, just like my dad, and his dad before him. We always knew our trade was secure, and there would be work for honest, local, Eton graduates like ourselves.
Now we have the government throwing us to the curb and letting all these political immigrants come in and take our jobs. It breaks your heart. Thankfully, I haven’t lost my job, but a couple of my friends have, because Brexit party members will work longer hours and sell their dignity and principles for much less than we do.”

The Brexit party have denied the allegations, but stated that “If people have the skills and there is a demand for their services, who are we to deny them entry to a new political party to have a better life.”
https://thenewsdump.co.uk/conservatives ... qdL8n-3rpM

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:27 am

Landlord removes giant iPhone advert blocking daylight into poverty-hit families' homes

Residents wake up to daylight from windows for first time in three years after campaign

A large iPhone advert that blocked natural light for poverty-hit families living in a London apartment block has been taken down after campaigners called for its removal.

A report by The Independent revealed that residents were unable to see daylight out of their windows for three years after the advertising hoarding was put up.

They had described feeling “isolated” and “blocked out from everything” by the advertisement, which was put up without their consent.

Alex Armitage, a Green Party parliamentary candidate who campaigned against the advert, said the landlord sent a crane to remove the hoarding on Saturday night.

“After weeks of campaigning by the Green Party, the London Renters Union, Open Dalston and others, we’ve managed to pressurise the landlords into removing the hoarding,” Mr Armitage said.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 07716.html

And after three years it had no holes? :roll:

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:20 pm

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:46 pm

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:00 pm

Think of how much more amusing UK politics would be if you had Jews (or New York Italians) ... not running things of course, just writing your jokes.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Parents win right to prayer-free alternative to religious assemblies

Two parents who challenged compulsory religious worship in school assembly have won the right for a secular alternative for their children.

A Church of England multi-academy said it would allow the children to withdraw from the assembly and prayers, it was confirmed on Wednesday.

The Harrises launched the case after discovering their children were being made to pray and watch re-enactments of Bible scenes, including the crucifixion, during assemblies at Burford, an academy with no religious character.

The couple later withdrew their children from assemblies but no alternative activities were arranged by the school. In their submission to the high court in London, the parents argued that Christian worship at the school constituted indoctrination and was in breach of their right to freedom of belief under the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European convention on human rights.

The school’s trust agreed to meet all of the parents’ requests, including providing an inclusive alternative to assembly run by a teacher for all pupils who had withdrawn. It must now inform parents that an alternative is on offer. Religious observance and referring to “god as truth” will be able to take place only in designated collective worship sessions.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... l-assembly

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:57 pm

Good for them!

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:31 am

Alex Salmond accused of sexual assaults on 10 women

Alex Salmond has appeared in court charged with carrying out a series of sexual offences against 10 women while serving as Scotland's first minister.

Mr Salmond faced a total of 14 charges at the High Court in Edinburgh.

He denies all the allegations, which include one attempted rape, one intent to rape, 10 sexual assaults and two indecent assaults.

The offences are alleged to have happened between June 2008 and November 2014.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-50486713

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:39 am

Witness wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:51 am

And they continue cuddling Boris:
BBC caught up in another editing scandal

The broadcasting corporation has been accused of editing audience reactions to show them clapping rather than laughing.

The BBC has been caught up in yet another editing scandal after the 1pm news reportedly altered reactions of the Question Time audience.

Boris Johnson drew a hysteric reaction from the audience after fielding questions on how important it is for people in positions of power to tell the truth.

The Prime Minister said trust is “absolutely vital” to the election, claims that didn’t wash with those at the event.

But when the clip aired on BBC the following day it appeared as if the PM had received a warm reaction for his comments.
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... dal/24/11/

You can see the direct & edited videos here (with technical comments): https://twitter.com/Tingaling007/status ... 0073117697

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:48 pm

So Jeremy Corbyn had Labour’s anti-racism event as part of the general election campaign (this is the party that is currently being investigated for anti semitism ). The BBC notes a little problem:

Labour members accused of anti-Semitism seen on party platform

Laura Kuenssberg
BBC political editor
A Labour candidate who apologised for sharing a post online about "Zionist masters" and another who defended Ken Livingstone when he was accused of anti-Semitism were on the platform behind Jeremy Corbyn today at his event.

This is the kind of thing that makes some in Labour ask the question: is the leadership blind to impression that gives - or, worse in some candidates' view, is it perfectly aware but doesn't mind?”

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:53 pm

Note: You only have to watch the first few minutes to get the flavor. :)

I were in charge of education in the UK, I'd teach 'em why The Empire was bad from an American point of view and give equal time to the Irish. :p

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:24 am

↑ That's material for the SJW thread – Admire my victimness, please!

Some news from the streets (Birmingham):
Cinema brawl may be worst thing responding officers had seen – police chief

West Midlands Police said they would be making further arrests on Sunday or Monday, after five teenagers, including a 13-year-old girl, were held after the disorder at Star City in Birmingham on Saturday evening.

Chief Superintendent Steve Graham said the force used by officers was “proportionate”, adding that the disorder took 90 minutes to break up because police were not “heavy-handed”.

Youths were reported to have had machetes and knives, with three of the weapons seized by the force.

A dispersal order was issued to the group of about 100 people, and Vue Cinema has said it has pulled the gang film Blue Story from all of its 91 outlets in the UK and Ireland.
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... ief/24/11/

Ironic. :mrgreen: