Capturing CO2

We are the Borg.
Witness
Posts: 35573
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Capturing CO2

Post by Witness »

Some Swiss are at it: http://www.climeworks.com/.

Interestingly it uses waste heat. Let's just hope it can be competitive. They think yes, of course:

https://i.imgur.com/Q2GU1mu.jpg
sparks
Posts: 17272
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by sparks »

So, plant some fucking trees people! And if they produce fruit you can eat, so much the better.
Anaxagoras
Posts: 29438
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Anaxagoras »

sparks wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:18 am So, plant some fucking trees people! And if they produce fruit you can eat, so much the better.
That's a good idea. The only question is where to plant them. Certainly anywhere that trees grow naturally and which isn't being used for other purposes. But how much land like that is there that isn't already covered with forests?
Doctor X
Posts: 74292
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Doctor X »

I can plant a tree in Your Mom.

--J.D.
Anaxagoras
Posts: 29438
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Anaxagoras »

:x
Doctor X
Posts: 74292
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Doctor X »

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264 ... 477755.gif

--J.D.
sparks
Posts: 17272
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by sparks »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:18 am
sparks wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:18 am So, plant some fucking trees people! And if they produce fruit you can eat, so much the better.
That's a good idea. The only question is where to plant them. Certainly anywhere that trees grow naturally and which isn't being used for other purposes. But how much land like that is there that isn't already covered with forests?
There are limits to growth, this would be one of them.
sparks
Posts: 17272
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by sparks »

And then make biofuel out of the plankton.

Carbon neutral.

Now, about those skyscrapers... :roll:
Witness
Posts: 35573
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Witness »

sparks wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:18 am So, plant some fucking trees people! And if they produce fruit you can eat, so much the better.
Where trees can grow, forest is the so-called "climax" state. Good example: the Mediterranean basin… before sheep and goats.

For now, the situation is:

https://i.imgur.com/GeYOjPt.jpg
Forests are growing again where human well-being is increasing, finds new study.

Only the rich can afford them. :mrgreen:
Rob Lister
Posts: 23535
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Rob Lister »

How do the trees know where the borders are? Smart trees.
robinson
Posts: 15562
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by robinson »

The good news of late,is that thanks to new measuring ability, and CO2 fertilization, the world actually has 3 trillion more trees than it did in 2012
robinson
Posts: 15562
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by robinson »

i more than 7 times as many trees as there was in 2012
Anaxagoras
Posts: 29438
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Anaxagoras »

robinson wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:51 am The good news of late,is that thanks to new measuring ability, and CO2 fertilization, the world actually has 3 trillion more trees than it did in 2012
Source for this?
Rob Lister
Posts: 23535
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:27 am
robinson wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:51 am The good news of late, is that thanks to new measuring ability, and CO2 fertilization, the world actually has 3 trillion more trees than we thought it did in 2012
Source for this?
I fixed it for you.
https://www.tentree.com/blogs/posts/fac ... -years-ago

Essentially, in years prior to 2012, smart folks thought there were about 400 billion trees, but they were only guessing. Then someone actually counted. Turns out we had about 3 trillion, or 7 times more than we thought we did.
robinson
Posts: 15562
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by robinson »

Rob Lister wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:09 am Turns out we had about 3 trillion, or 7 times more than we thought we did.
That's still a guess.

Reality is the planet has about 40 trillion trees.
Rob Lister
Posts: 23535
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Rob Lister »

robinson wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:09 pm
Rob Lister wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:09 am Turns out we had about 3 trillion, or 7 times more than we thought we did.
That's still a guess.

Reality is the planet has about 40 trillion trees.
WTF man! Stop posting shit. Even when you're technically correct, as in your last post, you make it shit by mischaracterizing it. Be honest and let ed love you.
ed
Posts: 41064
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: G_D

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by ed »

define "tree"

https://assets.mubi.com/images/cast_mem ... 1353955696
robinson
Posts: 15562
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by robinson »

They don't count the baby trees. There are way more trees than 3 trillion trees
robinson
Posts: 15562
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by robinson »

On a vacant lot nearby, that used to be mowed, the owner just stopped mowing it. Three years later is it covered in trees. The oldest and most robust are way taller than the newer baby trees. But if you just count the visible ones from a sat photo, you would be seriously wrong about the number of trees. Also due to abundant rain fall and higher CO2 levels, the trees are growing 4 times faster than they did 40 years ago.

Of course you can't count baby trees. But I can.
ed
Posts: 41064
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: G_D

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by ed »

I don't see how they can count tress (or anything else) under a forest canopy.
robinson
Posts: 15562
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by robinson »

Because of the idiotic policy of not allowing ANY fires at all, ever, the Smoky mountains are seriously fucked up. Species that need fire, and clearings due to fire, are going extinct. The entire forest is also seriously full of dead wood, and when a fire (from lightning) eventually doesn't get snuffed right away, there is going to be one hell of an un-natural firestorm.
sparks
Posts: 17272
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by sparks »

Which will dump a huge amount of otherwise sequestered CO2 into the atmosphere...
ceptimus
Posts: 1417
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:04 pm
Location: UK

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by ceptimus »

And make the name of the mountains accurate again.
Fid
Posts: 1534
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:45 pm
Location: The island of Atlanta

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Fid »

Actually the "smoky" part is really condensation or cloud which form under certain conditions. The spooky part is the clouds are very small and isolated and can persist in a location for some time. They look for all the world like the spirits are having a campfire.
robinson
Posts: 15562
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by robinson »

The blue cloud look is almost always there, and is from the volatile organic compounds trees give off, which in combination with water vapor condensate, creates the blue haze that looks like smoke.
robinson
Posts: 15562
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by robinson »

I see it almost every day
Rob Lister
Posts: 23535
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Rob Lister »

ed wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:14 pm define "tree"
...we define a tree as a plant with woody stems larger than 10 cm diameter at breast height
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... cHpqfZaQcX
Page 1, para 4
ed
Posts: 41064
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: G_D

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by ed »

Fid wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:24 am Actually the "smoky" part is really condensation or cloud which form under certain conditions. The spooky part is the clouds are very small and isolated and can persist in a location for some time. They look for all the world like the spirits are having a campfire.
this

hmmmmmmm

Google google Duckduckgo duckduckgo
Prof. Crevett: And then dere is da cloud.
Alan Brooks: What cloud?
Prof. Crevett: Come on, Alan, you know what I'm talking about. Da cloud where there should be no cloud.
Alan Brooks: Where there are mountains, there are always clouds.
Prof. Crevett: But dis one remains static. On da side of da Trollenberg it never moves.
Alan Brooks: A freak of nature.
Prof. Crevett: A radioactive freak of nature?
The nightmare terror of the slithering eye that unleashed agonizing horror on a screaming world!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... poster.jpg

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ConsiderateGr ... ax-1mb.gif
Anaxagoras
Posts: 29438
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Anaxagoras »

Rob Lister wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:37 am
ed wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:14 pm define "tree"
...we define a tree as a plant with woody stems larger than 10 cm diameter at breast height
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... cHpqfZaQcX
Page 1, para 4
So seedlings or saplings don't count. It has to reach a certain stage of maturity to count as a tree.
Rob Lister
Posts: 23535
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:08 am
Rob Lister wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:37 am
ed wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:14 pm define "tree"
...we define a tree as a plant with woody stems larger than 10 cm diameter at breast height
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... cHpqfZaQcX
Page 1, para 4
So seedlings or saplings don't count. It has to reach a certain stage of maturity to count as a tree.
Yes and it appears that the paper's definition is also the common definition.
Merriam-Webster wrote: sapling noun
sap·​ling | \ ˈsa-pliŋ
, -plən\
Definition of sapling

1 : a young tree specifically : one not over four inches (about 10 centimeters) in diameter at breast height
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sapling
ed
Posts: 41064
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: G_D

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by ed »

Good. As long as we are clear on that.
robinson
Posts: 15562
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by robinson »

Yes, it's good we cleared that up
robinson
Posts: 15562
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 am
Title: Pretty much dead already
Location: USA

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by robinson »

970110
sparks
Posts: 17272
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Capturing CO2

Post by sparks »

ed wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:58 am
Fid wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:24 am Actually the "smoky" part is really condensation or cloud which form under certain conditions. The spooky part is the clouds are very small and isolated and can persist in a location for some time. They look for all the world like the spirits are having a campfire.
this

hmmmmmmm

Google google Duckduckgo duckduckgo
Prof. Crevett: And then dere is da cloud.
Alan Brooks: What cloud?
Prof. Crevett: Come on, Alan, you know what I'm talking about. Da cloud where there should be no cloud.
Alan Brooks: Where there are mountains, there are always clouds.
Prof. Crevett: But dis one remains static. On da side of da Trollenberg it never moves.
Alan Brooks: A freak of nature.
Prof. Crevett: A radioactive freak of nature?
The nightmare terror of the slithering eye that unleashed agonizing horror on a screaming world!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... poster.jpg

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ConsiderateGr ... ax-1mb.gif
Originally released as "The Trollenberg Terror".