Down with Darwin

We are the Borg.
Witness

Down with Darwin

Post by Witness » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:23 am

More than 1,000 scientists sign ‘dissent from Darwinism’ statement

Earlier this month, a long kept list of Ph.D. scientists who “dissent from Darwinism” reached a milestone — it crossed the threshold of 1,000 signers.

“There are 1,043 scientists on the ‘A Scientific Dissent from Darwinism’ list. It passed the 1,000 mark this month,” said Sarah Chaffee, a program officer for the Discovery Institute, which maintains the list.

“A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism” is a simple, 32-word statement that reads: “We are skeptical of claims for the ability of random mutation and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged.”

Launched in 2001, the list continues to collect support from scientists from universities across America and globally. Signers have earned their Ph.D.s at institutions that include Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Princeton, Brown, Dartmouth and the University of Pennsylvania. Others on the list earned their doctorates at Clemson, UT Austin, Ohio State, UCLA, Duke, Stanford, Emory, UNC Chapel Hill and many others universities. Still other signers are currently employed as professors across the nation.

Those who sign it “must either hold a Ph.D. in a scientific field such as biology, chemistry, mathematics, engineering, computer science, or one of the other natural sciences; or they must hold an M.D. and serve as a professor of medicine,” according to the institute.

The group points out that signing the statement does not mean these scholars endorse “alternative theories such as self-organization, structuralism, or intelligent design,” but rather simply indicates “skepticism about modern Darwinian theories central claim that natural selection acting on random mutations is the driving force behind the complexity of life.”
https://www.thecollegefix.com/more-than ... statement/

I particularly liked this quote:
David Dewitt, chair of the Department of Biology and Chemistry at Liberty University, told The College Fix in an email interview he signed the list because “I don’t believe that Darwinism accounts for all living things. Natural selection doesn’t produce new information and can’t.”
:mrgreen:

Anaxagoras

Re: Down with Darwin

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:37 am

Liberty University, the Discovery Institute, Behe . . .

Since 2001 they've managed to get 1000 signatures. Wow. :roll:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

xouper

Post by xouper » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:49 am

Witness wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:23 am
I particularly liked this quote:
David Dewitt, chair of the Department of Biology and Chemistry at Liberty University, told The College Fix in an email interview he signed the list because “I don’t believe that Darwinism accounts for all living things. Natural selection doesn’t produce new information and can’t.”
:mrgreen:
Good catch, Witness.

It's true of course that natural selection does not produce new information and can't. Most biologists already know this and do not claim otherwise.

The new information is produced by mutation, not natural selection. I can imagine three explanations for Dewitt's dumbass statement:
  1. He was misquoted by the reporter.
  2. He misspoke and really does know the difference.
  3. He doesn't sufficiently understand what he's talking about.
  4. Planet X.
I would want to know Dewitt's comment about this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon-eat ... reationism

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:56 am

Creationists still have not heard of the Sun.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:01 am

I don't really understand arguments based on information theory.

If they just mean that the DNA code cannot change over multiple generations then clearly they are wrong for the reason stated by xouper. My own DNA is different from either my father or my mother, or my siblings. And then there's mutations.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 am

It is an inappropriate citation, just like the claims evolution "violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics!!!!"

By their argument, there is no internet, we have no buildings, spray cheese is a fantasy, and we are stuck with polka music. By some strange alchemy, people add energy into a system to reorder things to make new things. Chaos becomes order through the addition of energy.

This is why we eat.

What they fail to understand is that the entire system--which includes the fucking Sun--is losing energy. Of course, they are not interested in understanding; they merely wish to cherry pick data to sustain their need to believe the universe gives a shit about them.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:17 am

Over by Shermerland I have a running shtick discuss my theory of IID (intelligent icky design).

Some things are just too icky to be explained by natural selection.

I've had several posts over the years.

This one is not the most recent, but still the best. :coolspecs:

https://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic. ... 78#p189878
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:12 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:01 am
I don't really understand arguments based on information theory.
I'd say they long for something like this:

With man on top, of course. Can't be the result of a random process, there has to be a purpose. Which forgets the sifting part of evolution (which isn't "icky" as Abdul quips, but just mindlessly cruel), the enormous timescales, the imperfections, &c.

So yes, information is stored (and lost, too), but it comes from the interaction with the environment.