Sucks getting old

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep
Title: God Emperor

Sucks getting old

Post by Nyarlathotep »

For the last couple of weeks, I have been studying to get a license to sell Property & Casualty insurance, got a job all lined up doing that if I can pass the state exam by the end of the month and I hope to parlay it into my own business in a couple of years. But it has served as a reminder that while the physical signs of aging are all too familiar, the mind ages too.

Simply put, I don't feel as smart as I used to. There was a time when I could have breezed through the material and passed the test on my first try. Easy peasy. That is, after all, how I got through both high school and college. But now...not so easy. I am having to study. It is hard. I am not used to this. I took a simulated exam just now and only scored 75%, passing is 80%. I failed. I never used to fail tests...ever. And it wasn't due to great study habits or hard work, I could just naturally retain that much information in one pass.

This bullshit never would have happened to me 20 years ago. This sucks. I am sure I will get it by the deadline, but I am unused to being daunted by learning something new. I don't like it. Make it stop.
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

Witness

Re: Sucks getting old

Post by Witness »

You're just out of fucks to give. :wink:

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Good luck.

Invest the money in a new stereo.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:20 am
You're just out of fucks to give. :wink:

This is probably me now or my very near future.

I passed a bar exam in my younger days. Now, if I ever had to go back and do it again? Man, I doubt I could generate the motivation to even start. Right now I'm looking at all the law books I have in my office and thinking, "I'm really glad I don't have to ever read all that shit again.”

I had an argument with my girlfriend not too long ago and thought, “If we break up, it might just be less trouble to stay single.”

I'm in my mid-40s and already thinking about retirement. Maybe outside of Japan. My Japanese is good, but I don't have any plans of ever learning another language past basic conversation. I used to look down on those sort of people. Now I'm one of them. And I don't give a fuck.