People that actually work for a living.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
gnome

Re: People that actually work for a living.

Post by gnome » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:28 pm

That would require checking their actual opinion.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:30 pm

gnome wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:28 pm
... actual opinion.
Define this term. :P
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:31 pm

To drop out of sarcasm and make an actual point: more people consider themselves left or left-leaning than fit this stereotype. Significantly more, and it is invalid to insist they must hold the same opinion.

That's a solid no true scotsman error there.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:16 pm
Any other once upon a time proletarians here?
I did, while a student, loading and unloading postal trains. Dangerous and dirty, crazy schedules (e. g. starting at 3 a. m.) which changed every week, physically strenuous (normally the postal bags were capped at 30 kg, but those from Russia were 50) and you had to hurry.
But it paid extremely well for unskilled labor – if you didn't mind working at night/on weekends/during holidays.

Sad memory: the bunch of old retired dudes in a dusty room who had to supplement their meager pension by all day long folding and binding the emptied bags. My, were they grumpy!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:01 pm

gnome wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:31 pm
To drop out of sarcasm and make an actual point: more people consider themselves left or left-leaning than fit this stereotype.
The ones that fit the stereotype are the ones who are effective workers for the ruling class faction I mentioned.

The others? You mean people like me?

After all I'm still left leaning in the eyes of No-God because I say mean things about billionaires.

What could be more left leaning than that? :cowbell:

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:35 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Quick show of hands please.

Who here has ever actually worked for a living (Rob's definition), for even a short period of time?
I'd say non-strenuous indoor drudgery such as retail clerk does not count (I have also been one of those).
Strenuous indoor drudgery such as warehouse work does count.

I have, though not lately.
In my case that includes pick and shovel work, technician in a factory, a technician job that was mostly driving to different sites, and some other odds and ends.

Yes, I've worked hard jobs. But not skilled blue-collar work and never for very long.

Actually, my first job as a kid was warehouse work. It was "indoors" in the sense that it had four walls and a roof. It involved moving books and pamphlets around in a non-air conditioned warehouse in Southern California in the summer for minimum wage. Ha. Ha.

As mentioned before, I also did mostly unskilled plumbing work, digging, hauling sewer machines up on top of roofs, etc. Actually, those fucking sewer machines almost pulled me off roofs more than once. I felt like the guy in Saving Private Ryan who says about his BAR, "Bottom of the channel sir. That bitch tried to drown me."

I did low level English teaching work. While mentally draining, it is not particularly hard and, despite what a lot of English conversation teachers in Japan seem to think, not "skilled."

I worked as a "runner" for a short time in law school delivering documents to various courthouses. Although a shitty bait-and-switch by the law firm, it wasn't a bad job.* But it sucked up time I didn't have which made it feel more stressful than it actually was. Also not "skilled."

* Knowing law students are desperate for "legal experience" they advertised for a "law clerk" to assist writing briefs, etc. When I finally said I wasn't getting enough "experience" to justify the amount of grunt work I was doing -- I assisted on exactly zero writing projects -- the partner got pissed off. Ha. Ha. Fuck him.

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:38 am

shuize wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 am
The distain that many on the left have for skilled blue-collar workers has always been a mystery to me.
The only people who actually have disdain, (the feeling that someone is unworthy of one's consideration or respect; contempt), the only possible way somebody could have actual disdain for somebody who gets actual shit done, would be somebody who has never actually done shit.

Seriously, the only humans who could look down on people who actually do things, important things, that keep society running, would be the people who have never done anything to keep society running.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:41 am

I've done white, blue and pink collar work. When I was white collar I thought it was better than blue collar, but it turned out blue collar was better in the long run. Blue collar means you don't have to go to the gym after work, something I just couldn't make myself do.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

Fid

Post by Fid » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:45 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:

Who here has ever actually worked for a living (Rob's definition), for even a short period of time?
I'd say non-strenuous indoor drudgery such as retail clerk does not count (I have also been one of those).

In my case that includes pick and shovel work, technician in a factory, a technician job that was mostly driving to different sites, and some other odds and ends.

High rise window cleaning, landscaping (such an innocuous word).
One story.
Second day on window cleaning (NOT washing goddammit) job .
Whilst lowering one of two 250 ft steel wire ropes from the roof the thing slipped out of my hands the coil stood up as it fell and I reached to stop it. A loop grabbed my arm and slammed me into the parapet thereby stopping the fall. Had that parapet not been unusually tall (12ish feet) you would not be reading this.
Also we didn't have to go down recoil the wire rope and pull the pedestrian bodies out from under the pile.

OK one more.
From the ground the sky was completely overcast but 30 stories up from the roof the sun was shining and the blanket of cloud was pierced by nearby buildings. Looking over the parapet with the sun at my back was my shadow surrounded by a vivid rainbow halo. I called the other guys to come see this wonder and was informed it was bad luck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocken_spectre
Last edited by Fid on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:48 am

Fid wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:45 am
... High rise window cleaning ...
I am seriously impressed. :coolspecs:

Fid

Post by Fid » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:02 am

Thank you I was young and stupid. I have a story about "Billy and the William Oliver Building" for another time.
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:05 am

Fid wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:45 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocken_spectre
I see you know the obligate references. :figamagee:

Here's another one:

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:34 am

robinson wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:38 am
Seriously, the only humans who could look down on people who actually do things, important things, that keep society running, would be the people who have never done anything to keep society running.

Yes, and in my opinion, the people who do the most to keep society running are the skilled blue-collar workers.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:04 pm

I actually agree even though I've never by any meaningful definition been one.
--Soldier, TF2

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:54 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:01 pm
gnome wrote:
To drop out of sarcasm and make an actual point: more people consider themselves left or left-leaning than fit this stereotype.
The ones that fit the stereotype are the ones who are effective workers for the ruling class faction I mentioned.

After all I'm still left leaning in the eyes of No-God because I say mean things about billionaires.

Saying mean things about billionaires just makes you a deplorable populist

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:

I did packing and shipping as a kid. Also worked on an assembly line. I am as one with my laboring brothers.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:48 pm

Giz wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:54 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:01 pm
gnome wrote:

Saying mean things about billionaires just makes you a deplorable populist
:HoppingMad:

... even if I approve of Social Security? Or is that just being a hypocrite? I like having roads too. :P