Something odd is happening in baseball this year

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Anaxagoras

Something odd is happening in baseball this year

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:09 am

I haven't been following all that closely this year, but I tuned into a game today and saw an interesting factoid:

Four teams have more home runs this year than the previous team record, which was set last year. It was 267 last year and this year two teams have more than 300 and four have more than 267.

What's the deal all the home runs this year? Not one but four teams smash the previous all-time record for team home runs? Two by over 30 runs?

Are we in a new steroid era or are the balls juiced? Have the players figured out how to beat the drug-testing system? Some kind of new PED the testers don't know about yet? Something is fishy about this. :notsure:

If the Yankees face the Twins in the playoffs, which appears likely, that will be the two highest home run hitting teams of all time facing each other. They will have over 600 home runs between them. In the game I just watched, the Yankees hit 6 out of the park. I kinda doubt they'll be in the World Series though. The Astros seem to have the best overall team in the AL. They've got the best pitchers. The Dodgers look like the best team in the NL, and they're one of the 4 top home run teams too, along with the Astros, Twins and Yankees.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Re: Something odd is happening in baseball this year

Post by Grammatron » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:20 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:42 am

Juiced baseballs might be it. I suppose that's a better story than a new steroids era. Still, the game keeps changing in ways that make comparisons from different eras like apples and oranges.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:00 am

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said,
"Our scientists that have been now studying the baseball more regularly have told us that this year the baseball has a little less drag. [...] We are trying to understand exactly why that happened and build out a manufacturing process that gives us a little more control over what's going on. But you have to remember that our baseball is a handmade product and there's gonna be variation year to year."
But the 6,668 home runs in 2019 is almost 10% (well, 9.2%) more than the record 6,105 in 2017. I find it pretty unlikely this isn't intentional; you should be able to see the difference.

In 2017, Rawlings makes their balls in Costa Rica. Did that change? Suppose they switched to some other factory.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:45 am

If they make baseballs every year there must still be a lot of older baseballs that were used in MLB in the past around somewhere. A bunch of them end up in the stands every game as fan souvenirs.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:34 pm

You know if you open a baseball you release an acid gas that will dissolve your face.

馬鹿!

–J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:55 pm

And if you open a football you get a 4-game suspension!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:28 am

How 'bout them Dodgers!

*snicker, snicker*
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:10 pm

–J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:29 pm

But hey, Dodgers keep winning the regular season. So...yay....

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:28 am

It's the MOST WonDERful TIME of the Year!

–J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:50 am

:( :freedom:
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 pm

@jenfulwiler
My husband (in TX) texting me (in NYC):

“Please go down to the hotel bar and describe the sadness of the Yankees fans to me”
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:31 am

Admitting 'we were wrong,' Astros fire assistant GM Brandon Taubman
The Houston Astros fired assistant general manager Brandon Taubman on Thursday, admitting in a statement that his "inappropriate comments" about the acquisition of closer Roberto Osuna were directed at a group of female reporters.

A report published earlier this week by Sports Illustrated's Stephanie Apstein said that during the celebration in the Astros clubhouse after clinching the American League Championship Series on Saturday, Taubman turned to a group of female reporters -- including one wearing a purple domestic violence awareness bracelet -- and repeatedly yelled, "Thank God we got Osuna! I'm so f---ing glad we got Osuna!"

Last season, Osuna served a 75-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball's domestic violence policy, stemming from an incident that happened while he was a member of the Toronto Blue Jays.

"Our initial investigation led us to believe that Brandon Taubman's inappropriate comments were not directed toward any reporter," the Astros said in Thursday's statement. "We were wrong. We sincerely apologize to Stephanie Apstein, Sports Illustrated and to all individuals who witnessed this incident or were offended by the inappropriate conduct. The Astros in no way intended to minimize the issues related to domestic violence.

"Our initial belief was based on witness statements about the incident. Subsequent interviews have revealed that Taubman's inappropriate comments were, in fact, directed toward one or more reporters. Accordingly we have terminated Brandon Taubman's employment with the Houston Astros. His conduct does not reflect the values of our organization and we believe this is the most appropriate course of action.

"We are thankful to Major League Baseball and to everyone that cooperated in the investigation. As previously stated, the Astros are very committed to using our voice to create awareness and support on the issue of domestic violence. We fully support MLB and baseball's stance and values regarding domestic violence. We will continue to make this cause a priority for our organization."

The Astros initially called the report "misleading and completely irresponsible" and accused SI of trying to "fabricate a story where one does not exist." Taubman later apologized for his language but said his comments were misinterpreted. Astros manager AJ Hinch told reporters Tuesday that the incident was "unfortunate" and "uncalled for."
The Astros seem to be getting pummeled both on and off the field. (No pun intended.)

(Fwiw, the Yankees have had problems with domestic violence this year too. One of their best pitchers had to sit out the playoffs because of it, which may have hurt their chances of advancing to the World Series.)
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:35 am

That and Sucking.

Meanwhile, I can happily root against the "Stros" for this reason.

–J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:39 am

Doctor X wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:35 am
That and Sucking. But not as bad the Red Sox who Failed to make the playoffs!!1!
Ftfy

:wedgie:
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:01 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:39 am
Doctor X wrote:
That and Sucking. But not as bad the Red Sox who Failed to make the playoffs!!1!
Ftfy

Who has won not one but TWO World Series this decade?

While being UNDEFEATED in the Toilet Bowl II in the post-season?

:De_Bunk:
–J.D.

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:31 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:39 am
Doctor X wrote:
Ftfy

MFY-loving bastard!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:50 am

Coming soon: “Conglaturations Steers ‘n Queers!”

— J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:51 am

– J.D.