Typing, Keyboarding, and Texting.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Typing, Keyboarding, and Texting.

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:48 am

Ready, text, go: typing speeds on mobiles rival keyboard users

Global test finds those using two-thumb technique can hit a blistering 38 words per minute
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... oard-users

Wow. Just fucking wow. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as I've watched my kids text with their thumbs and been amazed. The article links to the typing test wherefrom this data was collected.

http://typingtest.aalto.fi/

I think the caveat is that most thumb-typers are still not really touch-typers ... they can't type if they can't see the keyboard. I'm sure there are exceptions. I suppose that's not really an issue though as most texting content comes directly from the brain; they aren't copying some other source.

I can't text worth a shit. I might achieve 5 wpm on a good day. My excuses are 1) I text very infrequently and then only with relies like ok, yes, no, or call me, and 2) my thumbs are just too damn big.

Still, I took the test on my laptop and was surprised at the results.

It seems my touch-typing skills have actually improved a little (10 wpm) from the last time I took such a test ten or so years ago.

My skills on a number pad have utterly disappeared. I used to do what is the equivalent of 100 wpm but I went without a number pad for years and lost that skill; it ain't like riding a bike, I suppose.

While I'm here I might as well bloviate a bit. I took a typing class in high school (10th grade?) and didn't learn a damn thing. I was hunting and pecking when I started and hunting a pecking when I finished, but slightly faster; enough to pass with a D. These were manual typewriters. I fucking hated that class. I just didn't see it as ever being a useful skill. That's what secretaries are for, after all.

In my early twenties, I got a computer. Suddenly, keyboarding became important. I got a bootleg copy of Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. I went on a seven-month cruise shortly thereafter and had plenty of time to practice. As an aid to learning more quickly, I put a rubber band around each wrist. If my left or right hand made a mistake, I would snap that hand's rubberband. I think I was up to 30 wpm after a month, with very sore wrists. Who says corporal punishment doesn't work? I figured 30 wpm was adequate and quit my lessons after that.

Damn, If I had kept up my lessons for the entire cruise I'd be typing 210 wpm!!!. -;

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Typing, Keyboarding, and Texting.

Post by ed » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:53 am

How do you look in a skirt? Can you make sammiches?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:55 am

And yes.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:14 pm

You're hired!
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:32 pm

BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

How does Listy look in a skirt? Like the poor woman's got a 200 pound tumor between her legs, of course!
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:34 pm

I scored 56 wpm with a 0.30% error rate. I think autocorrect screwed me. The model sentence said "Tagg" and I'm pretty sure I entered it right, but it was corrected to "Tags". That's with a Qwerty keyboard. I'm definitely slower on my phone.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:52 pm

Tried again using my phone. Just 20 wpm with a 1.95% error rate.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare