An potentially somewhat interesting acquisition

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
ed
Title: G_D

An potentially somewhat interesting acquisition

Post by ed »

Just got this from a dealer. It is a Langenhan single shot target pistol. German ( :roll: ). Not sure exactly when it was made. Early 20th c. Just pre-WW1 maybe?

You pull the hooky thing on the trigger guard down which 1) opens the action by dropping the barrel and 2) cocks the piece.

The double trigger is called a "set trigger". I knew of them but this is the first one I ever examined. A trigger might require 5 or more pounds of pull to cause the weapon to fire. A double action revolver or a semi-auto that is double action for the first shot (like a Beretta) might require as much as 12 lbs of pull. For a target gun that is crappy cus it introduces shake and you have a tendency to "pull" the point of aim anyway and more trigger pull weight just makes it worse. Enter the set trigger
You pul the rear trigger and this "sets" the forward triggger which now requires a few ounces of pull. What you want on a target weapon. Some hunting rifles had the same thing. For completeness let me also mention the "release trigger". A massively dangerous concoction. The bloody gun goes off when you let the trigger go after pulling it. I leave it to the interested student to conjure up the possible accidents.
Lagenhan small.jpg
Beautifully made thing. Works perfectly after 100 years. Guns, like armor, called out for the hand of the artist. You can see it with the engraving here as well as with the woodworking.

I need to talk about how steel plate engraving descended from the blackening of engraved designs on armor in the 16th c. in Germany ( :roll: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ed on Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
About that stereo

Fid

Re: An interesting acquisition

Post by Fid »

Some detail pics while you talk would be nice.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan

ed

Post by ed »

Here ya go

About that stereo

robinson
Title: Nice guy

Post by robinson »

Nice gun

But useless in a real fight
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

robinson
Title: Nice guy

Post by robinson »

:mrgreen:
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

ed

Post by ed »

If you own such a gun it means that you have people that take care of fights.
About that stereo

ed

Post by ed »

Can I call it? Enough time has gone by, right?

Screw it, I'm calling it.

I officially declare this thread
About that stereo

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: An evidentially un-interesting acquisition

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Stop sulking ed old pal, just because we are speechless with admiration. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

The pictures aren't blurry enough – try posting smaller ones.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:40 am
The pictures aren't blurry enough – try posting smaller ones.
click the pic. it's a thumbnail. :De_Bunk:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:56 am
click the pic. it's a thumbnail. :De_Bunk:
Ah, OK. I never click as I have the "Thumbnail Zoom Plus" (sic) extension (Imagus for newer versions of Firefox or Chrome) which automatically shows the big file. But not in this case… :|

ed

Post by ed »

Got this one today

Elegant little thing.
About that stereo

DJ

Post by DJ »

That’s a beauty, ed.

ed

Post by ed »

Are you patronizing me?
About that stereo

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Double-triggered.

ed

Post by ed »

hahahaha
About that stereo

DJ

Post by DJ »

No, I immediately thought of the modern TC Contender and wondered about its provenance. Also wondered about the caliber, where it breaks, etc...

I enjoy when you write about these gems. Sorry that I didn’t mention that sooner.

ed

Post by ed »

DJ wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:00 pm
No, I immediately thought of the modern TC Contender and wondered about its provenance. Also wondered about the caliber, where it breaks, etc...

I enjoy when you write about these gems. Sorry that I didn’t mention that sooner.
I wrote a little paper on Franz Stock pistols with a pal and in so doing I was exposed to the development of the use of semiautomatic pistols in competitive German shooting ca. 1920. Prior to that ... single shot, after that lots of semi's. As I looked at the single shot pistols I was drawn to them. I have a few Thompson's and they are deadly accurate and, lo and behold, the Thompson design was stolen from the fucking krauts!!!! :x :x (actually that would be an interesting little article).

Anyway, the area interested me because it is arcane and I think that I like such things because it allows me to act superior without any fear of contradiction. I recall when I was trying to learn to read Anglo-Saxon (I wanted to read Beowulf in the original). In the intro to the book I got the author said something like "study, go wild, no one will ever know if you are wrong" :D

Anyway. I got a couple of these things, this one is my third. They are, for the workmanship and form and mechanical beauty, massively cheap. My intention (today, but I have the attention span of a butterfly) is to write something concerning them. Not sure what, I've had a few ideas but nothing compelling ... if you can use the word "compelling" in regard to early 20th century German target pistols.

This one is .22 short though I would probably not fire anything more than a CB cap in them. It is a falling block design. You lift the handle that is set into the grip and the block falls and cocks the internal hammer.
Fig 108.jpg
The illustration is from Boch's "Modern Pistols" which I am endeavoring to translate, at least the chapter on target pistols. Incidentally, the word for hammer can be translated as "cock" which provides me with much mirth.

Anyway, when I get it I will take it out back and try it out. I shall report back at that time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
About that stereo

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

ed wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:49 am
Are you patronizing me?

:pacifier:

Finally I get to use that smiley again. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ed

Post by ed »

Where is that patronizing head pat thing that doc uses.
About that stereo